Possible to Only replace the body of the skimmer on AGP?

Feb 11, 2013
Looks like part of my skimmer cracked over the winter. Do you think it’s possible to replace only the body of the skimmer? Below I have attached pictures of the cracks in the skimmer and the skimmer parts list. I believe it looks like I would be able to replace the back half without messing with the liner. What do you all think?
26559a923d525c14eae84bd0c51116f1.jpg
d017bd91cf7fa14724e611b89d4f0f12.jpg
10cc4a6ff4c3fbdb76413c38de6d47a5.jpg

This one looks a bit tough. I would have suggested some form of adhesive applied inside and out, but the cracks are at critical points which may leak with repair. Sometimes buying a whole new skimmer is less expensive than a couple of parts, but it does not mean you have to use all of the new skimmer (assuming it is the same or similarly configured model), and you will have a few spare parts including a weir and return for future use.

Disclaimer- I have never replaced a skimmer without a liner because they both happened to be needed to be done at the same time.

I would suggest first filling the pool to about 1" of the skimmer faceplate to minimise potential liner movement.

My guess is you fear that if you remove the faceplate the liner will drop, and what you are wanting to do is keep the faceplate, gasket, liner and screws in place while attaching a new skimmer body and outside gasket. Of course, in this case you will have to back out the screws bit by bit each in turn while someone else pulls the cracked skimmer body out gradually. Similarly when installing the new skimmer body the faceplate would have to be pressed against the pool wall while the screws are each in turn screwed bit by bit into the new body. It may help to gorilla tape around the face plate (part on the face plate and on line) while doing this to assist in the liner being held in position - however, I do not know if the liner will hold up to gorilla tape removal or if residue will be left behind.

One problem might be that the pool side gasket might need to be replaced because gaskets are generally single use. You might screw the assembly tighter this time.

However, if the pool level is close (an inch or two) to the skimmer face plate, you might test to see if the liner stays in place at the skimmer so that you can replace the whole assembly. I suspect that this will be the case.

Before replacing the skimmer you might want to try an epoxy putty or polyurethane caulking repair. There is virtually no pressure on that joint so the seal doesn't have to be that strong.

One of the many brands of pipe sealing tape might be worth a try as well.

Depending on how old or how tightly your liner is stretched around the skimmer opening you could be in for a lot of hassle getting a new skimmer in.

If you have a wide mouth skimmer than yes it is possible to order just the back portion and replace it with out having to deal with removing the front half that is attached to the pool wall.

Finding the part you need for the right price might be challenging. Might be cheaper to just order a whole assembly and just use what you need and save the other parts.

Before replacing the skimmer you might want to try an epoxy putty or polyurethane caulking repair. There is virtually no pressure on that joint so the seal doesn't have to be that strong.

One of the many brands of pipe sealing tape might be worth a try as well.

Depending on how old or how tightly your liner is stretched around the skimmer opening you could be in for a lot of hassle getting a new skimmer in.

Agreed. Or even trim pipes to use a fernco/mission clamp..

Btw - CJademec, I didn’t know you were a CT nutmegging yankee too.

I have done this before and it is not hard at all. Make sure you get a new gasket with the skimmer for between the widemouth and skimmer. It should also come with new S.S. screws.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.