Possible to close an IG pool without draining?

Oct 1, 2016
Odessa/TX
First-time pool owner here, about to go through our first winter with the pool. I've read a few of the threads on closing as well as the Pool School link, but everything I've seen involves draining. I'm assuming this has to do with avoiding any freezing water and bursting pipes/damage to pool lining?

We live in West Texas and even in winter the temperature rarely gets down past 30F, and when it does it doesn't stay there (will jump up again to the 40-50F range, if not higher, during the day). Currently toward the end of September we're still in our pool a few times a week although suspecting that into October the water temp will just be to chilly to continue. I'd prefer not to drain the pool if I don't have to. (Living in a semi-desert/arid region makes me cringe to throw out that much water each winter!)

Any advice is appreciated! Let me know if other information is needed from me before answering. Thanks.

You are in TX, you should not really "close" your pool.

Just run the pump a few hours a day and maintain your FC levels.

If you are getting a freeze overnight, run the pump a bit to keep the pipes from freezing.

You are basically the same as here ... only a few nights that drop below freezing and rarely longer than a few hours. Certainly not usually a high temp of below freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.