Possible Pressure Side Leak?

Zepyro

Jun 30, 2023
Tennessee
Hi everyone, I am stuck on a problem and looking for advice.

I have an in ground pool. Approximately 6000 Gallons.
-Hayward Swimclear 3030 Filter
-Hayward Tristar VS950 Pumps (1 for filtration, 1 for spa jets)
-Hayward Booster Pump
-Hayward Heater
-Hayward SWG

Here is the scenario I am faced with. Pump runs at medium from 9am to 3pm daily, and shuts off. Through the evening/overnight I can faintly hear air entering the filter. When the pump turns back on in the morning, I get a large amount of air being forced out of the returns. The system continues to run normally and without any air being pushed out (other than what I feel is normal when the SWG is operating).

My pump always has full prime, no bubbles in the pump basket, etc. and I don't see any water leaks as the pump/filter is operating.

My troubleshooting so far:
-Replace the metal reinforced o-ring on the filter
-closed various return valves at the pump. When I close off all return valves, the air sound subsides.

My theory is there is some sort of siphon effect where the water is "pulling" air in from somewhere, allowing it to drain back into the pool, but filling the filter with air.

Another thing to note, is when I take the lid off of the filter, the waterline seems to stay at the top of the bottom half of the filter (I don't see it draining into the pool) -- however, this is only observed over a few minutes, not hours.

Please can someone help shed some light?

Attachments

• Photo Apr 17 2024, 9 29 41 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 17 2024, 9 29 41 PM.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 02 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 02 AM.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 3
  • Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 13 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 13 AM.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 18 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 18 AM.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 27 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 48 27 AM.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 52 21 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26 2024, 10 52 21 AM.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi everyone, I am stuck on a problem and looking for advice.

I have an in ground pool. Approximately 6000 Gallons.
-Hayward Swimclear 3030 Filter
-Hayward Tristar VS950 Pumps (1 for filtration, 1 for spa jets)
-Hayward Booster Pump
-Hayward Heater
-Hayward SWG

Here is the scenario I am faced with. Pump runs at medium from 9am to 3pm daily, and shuts off. Through the evening/overnight I can faintly hear air entering the filter. When the pump turns back on in the morning, I get a large amount of air being forced out of the returns. The system continues to run normally and without any air being pushed out (other than what I feel is normal when the SWG is operating).

My pump always has full prime, no bubbles in the pump basket, etc. and I don't see any water leaks as the pump/filter is operating.

My troubleshooting so far:
-Replace the metal reinforced o-ring on the filter
-closed various return valves at the pump. When I close off all return valves, the air sound subsides.

My theory is there is some sort of siphon effect where the water is "pulling" air in from somewhere, allowing it to drain back into the pool, but filling the filter with air.

Another thing to note, is when I take the lid off of the filter, the waterline seems to stay at the top of the bottom half of the filter (I don't see it draining into the pool) -- however, this is only observed over a few minutes, not hours.

Please can someone help shed some light?
You're correct about what is happening. After a pool gets to be the age yours appears to be, it is not uncommon for what is happening to happen. It really isn't harming anything as long as you're not losing water and you can end up "chasing your tail" trying to find the source of an overnight air leak.

Most likely, the air is entering the system through the air-relief valve on top of the filter, it seems to happen more often with those Hayward valves. It doesn't have to leak water under pressure to leak air into the tank when the system shuts down. That's especially true if yours is one of the "automatic" air relief valves Hayward used for a while. A video on the repair is attached.

It could also be from the O rings that seal the stems and lids of the valves or the O rings on the lid of the check valves in front of the filter-pump.

Those are easy to replace and are "universal" in that you don't have to buy O rings for Hayward valves. If you do replace the O rings in the valves, DO NOT use a power screwdriver to reinstall the 8 screws per valve. It is very easy to crack a valve body, especially an older one, tightening too much.

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a new relief valve. Plan on replacing that shortly.

However, today, I have done more investigating. I BELIEVE I can show you where I hear the bubbles coming from when the pump/filter is off.

Here is a video

I don’t know how or why air is entering or escaping from what, but the sound it’s making is the same, and when everything is sealed, I can put my ear on the “outflow” pipes on the filter (lower port) and hear the leak.

I hope you can make sense of the video and what’s going on?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a new relief valve. Plan on replacing that shortly.

However, today, I have done more investigating. I BELIEVE I can show you where I hear the bubbles coming from when the pump/filter is off.

Here is a video

I don’t know how or why air is entering or escaping from what, but the sound it’s making is the same, and when everything is sealed, I can put my ear on the “outflow” pipes on the filter (lower port) and hear the leak.

I hope you can make sense of the video and what’s going on?

Thanks again!
Looks like you need new O rings at the filter fitting that is showing air.