Possible pool leak after re-plaster

Jul 1, 2017
Cedar Park/Texas
Hoping to get some help with a possible leak.

Pool was re-plastered 3 weeks ago and started to notice water was dropping faster than usual. Also to consider we started using the Polaris cleaner we had not used before.

The pool guy said that maybe the Polaris line had a leak that was made worse under pressure now that we started using it.

We plugged the polaris outlet in the pool but are still having passive water going through the booster and down to the plugged end.

5/16 - 5/17 pump off bucket test:

Pool lost 1/2 inch and bucket lost 3/8 inch. resulting in possible 1/8 leak.
(checked in the morning and bucket had no noticeable change, but pool water was slightly lower)

Next test is with pump running for about 10 hrs. few hours now to inject chlorine and a normal 8 hour run tomorrow.

If it turns out to be 1/8 inch leak is it worth hiring someone to do leak detection? (quoted $425)

Thanks
-David

NOT a pro here, just an experienced leaker. I have 16,000 gal inground pool w a 60DE filter. After about 3 months, (new pool) I burned up a secondary pump, replaced every automated actuator, replaced all valves and o-rings. Replaced eyeballs in spa and pool..... NOTHING worked. I was losing from 6 inches to ALL the water in my spa (random) every nite while the pump was off. I hired a leak dectector ($500) to tell me “no leak dectected.” Pool builder stumped. I actually set my hose on a timer to refill pool every day for 1-2 hours for about a year. Bought new filter kit for DE 60, low and behold... leak stopped same day. I have no explaination whatsoever for the fix, but it stopped. Cleaning the filter 3-4 times a year is not an option here. It was an easy fix, under $200 for parts (pentair from amazon). Your pool is new, you could try just taking out your filter guts (literally) and giving them a good clean. MAYBE, your pool is “shedding” (sorry, don’t know the right word here..) alot of “dust”. Good luck!

David,

Go back to when it didn't leak, then examine everything that was touched after:

-when plastering, did they do any chipouts around skimmers or other?

-re the Polaris, if you plugged the hole and it still leaks, then I would say it is something w the replaster.

now, 1/8" is not a huge delta at all from bucket test to pool actual and same w pump running.

if it is the same both ways 1/8", then I would have your plaster guy come back bc it sounds like it plaster oriented whether pump is on or off. As far as 1/8" vs $425 leak test, $425 can buy me 20,000 - 25,000 gallons of water..that's a lot of 1/8" deltas over time. However, if you know you have a leak for sure and it bugs you, then that's your call.

What did the contract say w your re-plaster contract on leaks?

Sorry, for the delay response its been a crazy week or so.

I ended up finding a wet patch of grass in between pool and pump that was saturated with water. Hoping one of the leaks is here so no concrete cutting.

After capping off the Polaris line on both ends the patch is starting to dry out, but I am still seeing 1/4 inch water loss per 3.5 hrs of pump runtime.

Leak detection guys are coming out on tuesday to try to find the leak.

Would the leak be on the return or suction side if it happens when the pump is running?

Thanks
-David

Typically on the pressure side (return) with pump running.

Marty is right on....Much more pressure coming out of the pump [return to pool], then coming back to the pump [suction], in relative terms. A nickel size hole in the suction side will leak a lot more than a pin hole on the pressure return side. If you're losing 1/4" per 3.5 hrs of pump time, you have a leak bc that would be 1.71" per 24 hr pump run time which means a leak.

let us know what your leak detection comp finds? Keep records of everything bc more info for them makes their job easier and completed quicker...less $$$$ out your pocket.

So, the leak detection guys were awesome.

Verified that my Polaris line was not leaking. Really happy that i can keep using the cleaner.

The leak turned out to be about 3 inches in from the deep end return port. They speculated that the joint between the old plumbing and new outlet did not adhere well.

The proposed fix by plaster guy is to fix the pipe from the inside by applying a patch to the seam of the pipe. It was told that the product makes plastic and should make it a solid piece when they are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.