Possible plaster problem, should i worry about it?

sbalberti

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tyler Texas
My pool is 2.5 months old and have had no trouble with water balance or algae. For the most part the plaster looks good and uniform, but for some reason in the deep end there a few dark areas. The PB said that mottling is common, but the beach area and shallow end is near perfect and the deep end is less than stellar. There's light areas and then really dark areas. It looks worse from the surface than when I go down to the bottom and inspect. The dark areas are a condensed area for the micro pebbles and less plaster where as the lighter areas are more plaster and less micro pebble. Before start up the plaster was acid washed. This was supposed to help decrease the mottling. Am I being too meticulous or is this something the PB should fix?

pool by Beccah-shawn Alberti, on Flickr

_SKA4602 by Beccah-shawn Alberti, on Flickr

_SKA4603 by Beccah-shawn Alberti, on Flickr

_SKA4605 by Beccah-shawn Alberti, on Flickr

_SKA4606 by Beccah-shawn Alberti, on Flickr

Sounds like mottling and, possibly, some variation in the plaster/pebble mix at the pump. Not much you can do about it unless you're willing to fight with your PB and then have the entire pool surface chipped out and replastered. There's no chemical "fix" to this; it's just how plaster is sometimes. Honestly speaking, it looks fine in the pictures and it's probably something that bothers you because you're the only one who really notices it. The plaster is going to fade in color over time, that is a simple fact of life with plaster, so don't be surprised if it changes over time. That, and the fact that you're only two months into the pool's life, means there's still plenty of color changes that can occur.

My advice, have a beer and go for a swim and don't sweat it....

Sounds like mottling and, possibly, some variation in the plaster/pebble mix at the pump. Not much you can do about it unless you're willing to fight with your PB and then have the entire pool surface chipped out and replastered. There's no chemical "fix" to this; it's just how plaster is sometimes. Honestly speaking, it looks fine in the pictures and it's probably something that bothers you because you're the only one who really notices it. The plaster is going to fade in color over time, that is a simple fact of life with plaster, so don't be surprised if it changes over time. That, and the fact that you're only two months into the pool's life, means there's still plenty of color changes that can occur.

My advice, have a beer and go for a swim and don't sweat it....

To be honest, the only time you really see it is in low light after the sun sets and the water is smooth as glass.
I'll take your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.