Possible owner build 14x29 Mountain Loch!

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
Good morning all!

After relocating to Tennessee several years ago and having an above ground pool for a few years we have decided to explore the option of doing an owner build for a Vinyl inground pool. I have had 2 ingrounds installed in the past at previous homes but have always hired a pool builder. I do have a few quick questions.

How have people budgeted for an owner build? One of my best friends owns a construction and excavation company and has already agreed to help out (doing things at cost or slightly above). He is putting together bids for concrete (collar and finish decking), the backfill rock, and hauling off the excess dirt from the dig.

The other part I am struggling with is we will need a retaining wall. Going this route, I think doing a rectangular pool will be best as the retaining wall would be straight. In my head I am invisioning a concrete retaining wall on the beam of the pool with brick veneer on the face. Would it make the most sense to do poured concrete or concrete blocks?

Not too concerned about the equipment as I've done this a time or two.

I've attached some photos showing what we are working with and what I would like to have at the end :) haha

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 29
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 31
Your pitch made me think of @bmoreswim and his amazing built in side tables/wall. I have no help otherwise, lol! I'd be totally scared off by that hill and a DIY retaining wall with drainage. ? ?

In regard to a retaining wall, I would always choose a poured wall rather than a block wall. Every joint in a block wall is the potential for a future problem. Not to say that a properly reinforced block wall will not perform fine for many years; though there is a higher risk of decreased performance over time vs a poured wall. Managing hydrostatic pressure with a proper drainage system behind the wall is as important as the construction material and method.

In regard to a retaining wall, I would always choose a poured wall rather than a block wall. Every joint in a block wall is the potential for a future problem. Not to say that a properly reinforced block wall will not perform fine for many years; though there is a higher risk of decreased performance over time vs a poured wall. Managing hydrostatic pressure with a proper drainage system behind the wall is as important as the construction material and method.

Thank you for the response. I think we may go for a rectangle over the freeform style. It seems like for a DIY build, straight lines might be easier. And the same with the retaining wall. With the connection my friend has, he thinks there may be a way to save additional money so we'll see!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.