Possible battle with pool contractor

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
As you might know I was unhappy with the work done by contractor on my gunite pool renovation. The aquabrite had to be done twice from poor workmanship, which caused delays. The decorative tile is crooked and will not be fixed. The coping is ok but not even and the expansion joint is messy. Also a subcontractor took $375 from us, for which he was subsequently fired and his poor workmanship on coping. Now the contractor wants the final $2400 of which includes a $500 credit for the tile. I don't want to pay him anymore as I have paid $12500 already.

Attached are some pictures. Let me know your thoughts and be honest.
71745d561e290c2067ecea791bbe2681.jpg
7eb4d63896d76cbc9dc07f8b7e5c1d7b.jpg
07664ca22cdf911c32edb7d418974953.jpg
7d4faf5d3db1814f2629c889c6a5cdee.jpg
990fc5baa7c22e9316bf5247be4c1f09.jpg

There shouldn't be any cracks between the coping as it will allow water to get in there and lead to damage during freeze/thaw cycles. It will cause the tile to crack and fall off prematurely.

Did the PB come out and take a look at the coping and expansion joint caulking?

all of the expansion joint was filled although I think they did a messy job of it (see pictures).

My biggest issue is where the tile dips in places as you can see in the pictures as well. In my opinion and limited skill set with other projects, is that getting something level is a basic requirement.

I will send some other issues of coping being off.

I have talked offline with bdavis as I don't want to be unreasonable and wanted his opinion as a pool contractor. I don't think a $500 credit is nearly good enough, especially since they also took $375, which I was promised would be refunded. When the owner of the concrete company that did the coping came out he said it was awful and while they did clean it up a bit, to me it still is not right.

I told the owner that we should just call it a day. I owe him $2400, which when you deduct the $375 is now $2125. I think that is a more reasonable credit

BDavis has seen some of these pics. I want to be fair, but I don't want to be screwed. I would much rather have the job done right and pay the full amount as I am 50 and will not be redoing the pool while I still have the house, or at least I hope not.

When you say that the sub took $375 from you, do you mean that you paid him or that he stole it from you?

What did your contract say about costs exceeding the estimate? If you didn't have a contract... well, there's a lesson in that.

I'd suggest you document things carefully and impartially, if you can. If you can't work out a compromise with the PB, you may want to involve a mediator. There's likely a volunteer mediation organization in your area. Again, document this carefully. If a contractor's lien or legal proceedings take place, you'll want to have all of your ducks in a row.

The concrete worker who did the poured concrete coping stated he would stain/paint the concrete ring and fix a couple a couple of other issues with it for an additional $750. We paid him half up front which is where the $375 comes from. When I got home, I noticed the coping was crooked along a stretch and there were chips and a grind mark in it. So I called the pool builder, he called the owner of concrete company and told me that the guy had been fired and the job he did with the poured concrete coping was terrible and would have to be redone. I let him know about the $375 and he said it would be refunded.

I let the pool builder know about the $375 for the extra work and he also said it would be refunded as they wont paint the old concrete ring as it would be slippery, but it has still not been refunded.

We do have a contract with cost breakdown and a good email chain with problems.

We will see how it all shakes out. I don't want a lien but I don't think a $500 credit on a $14900 bill is reasonable with the issues that still exist and will not be fixed. That is like 3% off. Kinda crappy

I agree with you. That tile dipping would really bother me. The gloppy caulking between the coping and the deck would really bother me. The whole job does not look like it was done very professionally, thus, they really can't expect standard pro prices. I'd either say you're not giving any more money or they can do the job over. So sorry this happened. I know how disappointing it is to expect nice work and not get it. Good luck & hugs to you.

Thanks here are two more pics. One is another area of uneven tile it is smaller and the other is area where coping is kind of choppy on bottom. I have not heard back since I told secretary I was not paying anymore money
aa67c0912afb76393ecfb305a8459a49.jpg
27b175530d2533cf4fdcaccd6ee27c53.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree you have just cause against your workers/PB...for them to say they will NOT fix it is unacceptable at least to me. Hope you get some resolution on this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.