Possible Bad CYA Test???

MouseMan54

May 18, 2016
Riverside, CA
Recently I was having some trouble with my cell keeping up (it usually does). When I tested my CYA was 50. My system is happiest around 70 so I added 7 lbs. of this:
View attachment 82783
From here: Amazon.com : Pool Mate 1-2607B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools, 7-Pound : Garden Outdoor

It got good reviews on Amazon. I added it in a sock in front of return. Now, a good 1.5 weeks later after adding I'm still testing at 50. I'm also testing with a new bottle of R-0013 since adding. Is it possible something is throwing off my test? Or did I get duped on the Pool Mate product? Here's my full test results:

FC: 11.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 100
CH: 620
CYA: 50
Salt: 3700 (via test strip) 3800+ cell reading.
Temp: ~84

I'm used to adding CYA every year. I have rowdy swimmers and have to backwash and clean my filter freequently due to trees, wind, debree and my Lab. (I wash a lot of her hair out :?). I 'm also working on getting the TA lower to help with the high CH.

TIA!!

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't mean the pic to be so big!! :mad:

A couple or more years ago, we had some reports of newly purchased CYA that simply was not CYA.....never knew what it was but it would not register on the CYA test.

I guess a decent idea would be to try the same 7 lb dose using another brand and see what you get.

What were you using previously? Package says stabilizer & conditioner?? Not sure if thats a difference or not...

I use the Clorox brand I get at Walmart and try to stick to the same brands but thats just me.
IMG_1891.jpg

It is not 100% CYA like some other products. It's 98% Cyanuric Acid Hydrate and 2% inert ingredients. There are a bunch of 1 star review describing similar problems.

IMG_0309(1).jpg

Hmmm.... Is there a difference between 'Cyanuric Acid Hydrate' and Cyanuric Acid? 98% should still bring it up quite a bit.

I found 1 maybe 2 1 star reviews on Amazon for it not working. The others were just it not dissolving, which I attributed to inexperienced folks not knowing it takes a long time to dissolve. That said, perhaps it just 'dissipated from the sock and ended up in the filter, essentially undissolved.

I normally use Leslie's conditioner which is 99% Cyanuric acid, 1% other. It works fine. I went the Amazon route looking to save a little money and avoid going to the pool store and having to deflect all their questions and suggestions.

I definitely get a reading on the test.

Contact Amazon and they will make it right! Second I have to confirm you used the sock method in front of a return?

Yep. Sock in front of the filter. It looked pretty much the same as the stuff I've used in the past. What is surprising to me is that it seemed to make NO difference. If it would have come up say 1/2 of what I was expecting I could figure it was just low quality. This just seems to be fake/false.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.