Possible a heat pump can lower CYA?

Jun 11, 2017
Sydney
Here's a slightly crazy question I know...

I've been following the TFP method for about 14-15 months now - and have had zero algae in that time. All going great.

A peculiar thing I have noticed for 2 summers in a row, coming out of summer into autumn when I've used an electric heat pump to extend the swimming season, it has coincided with a rapid drop in CYA of 20 over a 72 hours or so of heat pump use where we might heat in prep for a weekend of swimming. Now I know in theory about CYA and that it shouldn't drop that quickly. And I've previously had some bad batches of CYA testing reagent but I believe this is now all resolved and I used the CCL kit here in Australia. I'm talking about a drop in CYA from 80 down to 60 in the space of a week. All tests in same lighting conditions / time of day / back to full sun / glance down waist high etc. No rain or backwashing in the week in question. (Live in Sydney - current daytime temps around 24C (75F)

I think I've read high water temps can increase the drop in CYA. The heat pump we have is the Z200 Zodiac (link - Zodiac Australia). It can get the pool water up to a max of 32C (90F) - but I would imagine the piping right within the inner element would heat the water higher than that.

In practice this has just meant I trust the test results and add CYA again to maintain a level of 80 - and all has been fine. But I still have this lingering question about rapid CYA drops occasionally.

Any thoughts?

AU Pete, a thought .... when you're running the heat pump, are you also adding water due to evaporation? The fresh water added may be impacting your CYA, if it's quite a bit of fresh water.

Well - the strange phenomenon happened again...

Tested 2 weeks ago:
CYA 70
FC 6

Tested 1 week ago:
CYA 70
FC 6

Ran heat pump for 36 hours leading into a day we wanted to swim, and tested at end of that 36 hours:
CYA 50
FC 5.5

Tested again 24 hours later to confirm:
CYA 50
FC 5

Conclusion: The heat pump had dropped CYA by 20 in the 36 hours it was running!

Added 440g of stabiliser to bring CYA back up to 70. (we're leading in winter here in Sydney, so going to let it sit at CYA 70, FC 5 over winter)

Tested 48 hours later after all CYA had dispersed into water:
CYA 70
FC 5

-----

Anyway - anyone else have a similar electric heat pump and care to do a little test? run it flat out for a few days and see if it makes any difference to your CYA.
(This is the stabiliser I'm using BTW Hy-Clor 2kg Soft Pack Stabiliser)

I am noticing a similar effect. We use the spa section of our pool quite a bit and it heats that section to around 100 degrees F. I am noticing a drop in CYA also. Not sure that I can attribute it directly to the spa usage but it seems like a good coincidence. We have a propane heater and I am not sure what water return temp is but it should be well over 100.

I wonder if there is a more scientific way I can measure this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.