Popup cleaner keeps popping out of hole

Oct 30, 2018
Tucson, AZ
I've got A&A Style II popup valves throughout my pool. One of my popups has been ejected from its hole, despite my attempts to reseat it using the installation tool. Earlier this summer, I had the main pump replaced with a variable speed and flow unit (Sta-rite). Works great, but the setting that the installers left it at was 3000 RPM for cleaner operation, which turns out to be right around 48-52 gpm. I'm guessing this might be too much pressure... I've also read that the skimmer doesn't work as efficiently beyond 50 gpm. Regardless, what do about the constantly ejecting popups? I've placed the pump on gpm control for now, set to maintain 42 gpm when cleaning.

As DJ suggests, swap it with one that doesn't eject from its hole. Possibly pick one from the same zone so the pressure behind it is the same. Also check the o-ring. When swapping them, be sure both are either high pressure or low pressure heads (water exit hole the same size). If the issue follows the pop-up, replace the pop-up.

Replacement heads can be bought online for about $45 - cheaper than local PS or from A&A directly. If you're the original owner, the pop-ups are covered under warranty.

I managed to remove the old ejecting popup. The bottom tangs of the housing had broken off completely, so I got a replacement from the pool builder (has a few store fronts in town). Problem is solved, but I did also reduce the GPM... maintaining at 45 GPM now. I'm curious if anyone is using the venturi effect versions of the popups as the advertising claims they're considerably more powerful.

Great that you got it fixed. Are you the original owner?

I would think the venturi heads would produce the same output volume at a lower RPM/flow rate as the standard heads would when pump is on high (3450 RPM) - or a higher output volume at the same RPM/flow rate. Cleaning effectiveness will be based on plumbing design, head placement and pop-up output.

Unfortunately, I'm not the original owner of the pool. I suppose if I start to experience a lot of failures with the popups in the future, I might jump for a complete replacement set using the new style, but so far this has been the only one.

If you need to purchase another head in the future, you may wish to try one of the venturi heads to see if it improves anything. For your future planning - you may wish to look for online options. They are usually cheaper then getting them locally.

Following..
I have the same problem. One head keeps popping out every few days to weekly. Causing the entire 8 cycle to stop at one indefinitely. So i need to always check on it. The head that pops out seems like its in fine shape. It is the original heads with the caretaker 99 logo on it. I am the 2nd owner so no warranty for me.
I just switched out the head with another which was not popping out and will see what happens. in a week or so.

Are there better upgraded heads to use which will fit the same? Does anyone have the model numbers?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.