Poor circulation, recommendation needed

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have to brush the pool every day. The pool is surrounded by trees as well. I was planning on purchasing a new eyeball for the return line. I guess that's what it is called. Any recommendations? I don't like some of the Amazon reviews I am seeing. Oh, and I only have one return line and yes, it is on the same side as the skimmer.

UPDATE: I decided to purchase the Infusion V Fitting. I wanted to give it a try before going with the circulator. So far, a little more than half the pool is clean (meaning nothing settled on the pool floor). The part farthest away from return line had some dirt settled on the floor yesterday. I am hoping to be able to go at least 2 or 3 days without brushing. I fear that my problem is I only have one return line and a large pool. Next step will be the circulator if I am not satisfied.

Last edited:
The eyeballs are fairly simple and are made to fit the wall assembly. There is usually a hole size option available. Just match the brand of assembly you have and pick the desired hole size. It's fairly straightforward.

Why do you think you need a new eye? You should be able to point the eye in a different direction to change the circulation.
Why do you feel you need to brush every day? That is not normal.
What issues are you having? Post up a full set of test results and some general info. We can help you get this cleared up.

I have to brush the pool every day. The pool is surrounded by trees as well. I was planning on purchasing a new eyeball for the return line. I guess that's what it is called. Any recommendations? I don't like some of the Amazon reviews I am seeing. Oh, and I only have one return line and yes, it is on the same side as the skimmer.

We stick a vacuum elbow in our eye socket to create circulation (not sure what shape of pool you have).

I'll post a picture once it's light here

My issue is that my pool is dirty everyday. I know all about test results and SLAM. No matter what, my pool has leaves and dirt in it EVERYDAY. If I miss one day of brushing I'm in trouble. If it rains, I'm in trouble because of the leaves, dirt, and twigs left behind. Last year a TFP member suggested that I look into getting a new mechanism for the return line to promote better circulation. This summer someone else posted issues with having to brush everyday and someone suggested circulation issues.

Dirty everyday.
6e468fcb3ca3be0c9b7c89ab139be6a1.jpg
58fd2657030b68c13b48918fabd31677.jpg

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but are your just brushing it or are you vacuuming it? If you're just brushing, that sediment probably won't make it to the skimmer and will just resettle overnight on the bottom.

My issue is that my pool is dirty everyday. I know all about test results and SLAM. No matter what, my pool has leaves and dirt in it EVERYDAY. If I miss one day of brushing I'm in trouble. If it rains, I'm in trouble because of the leaves, dirt, and twigs left behind. Last year a TFP member suggested that I look into getting a new mechanism for the return line to promote better circulation. This summer someone else posted issues with having to brush everyday and someone suggested circulation issues.

I'm thinking something like this on the return (turned down under the water to keep the water circulating away from, then around to the outlet)

I'll have to post levels when I get home. I know I need to SLAM now. The issue is I am in this constant cycle. I SLAM, I pass the OCLT test, I'm good for maybe a couple of days the dirt begins to collect again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are pool users tracking dirt in the pool? I see your sig says that it is the pool is recessed, but how far above ground are the top rails? For an above ground pool, it would be difficult to get that much dirt in the pool just by wind or rain, every day or every few days. Obviously leaves & sticks could get in with the wind. It sure looks like it would be a P.I.T.A. to have to deal with that every day so I understand your desire to try some things. If you point the return eye diagonal downward it may help to stir up the stuff on the bottom and get it suspended so the filter can help get it out.

Have you done the TFP SLAM process to rule out algae issues? If so, when? How do you normally add FC?

I only had time to check FC today. I will post all levels later tonight when I get home. When I checked this afternoon the FC was at 7.5, my CYA is at a 30. And guess what? My CC is 0! So ... yeah. I wanted to keep the thread alive and updated.

The rails are about 3-4 feet from the ground.

Canjones:

Sorry to hear your frustration. I am going to point out a few things.

1) If you are having circulation issues, what you would see, assuming you have TFP levels and are following protocol, dead spots in the pool water. This would lead to algae spots here and there. One way to eliminate algae spots is by constant brushing.

2) Constant brushing when you have all trees around you will not protect the pool from dirt, debris, leaves, etc. The system in the AGP is not strong enough, in addition your skimmer and returns are probably close together. Your pool should not get that dirty during the season. I vacuum at least once during the week and try for more.

What you may have is algae and you need to perform an overnight test and also figure out approximately how much TC you are losing during a 24 hour period.

If you want to look at something for eyeball return circulation, please look at rotating heads. I just found out from a recommendation that they make 2 kinds, the small version and the mega version. The e-mail is [email protected] and you can go directly to the website. The One & Only Circulator

I have these in my pool and they are great. All up to you as the cost is a lot more than regular eyeball returns, but they do work. Mine were installed from the pool builder, but I recommend these all the time to my friends. Thanks!

FC was 7.5 at noon today and 4.5 at 9pm. This summer I haven't really lost too much chlorine overnight just more so in the afternoon.

In the hot Texas weather, this appears to be normal. What about the bottom debris. If you vacuum up to the filter, how long does it take before you see again? Also, does the water stay clear and then after filter shuts off you eventually accumulate debris?

Get a SunDome. It's the second best thing I've ever bought. I lose .5 FC A day.bWater is always warm and it's like a Caribbean vacation when you get in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.