PoolMath question: FC target range

Wndy

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2021
NY - Lower Hudson Valley
Pool Size
Hello,

Everything has been going very well; thanks to TFP and the PoolMath app.

I could use some guidance with the PoolMath app.

Where do I change the Recommended FC range in PoolMath.
Recommended Range: defaults to: 4.0 - 8.0
Target defaults to: 6

I have been changing the FC Target from 6 to 3 each time I enter daily results for the Overview screen to tell me how much chlorine to add. This is generally not a problem; it would just be nice to have the Range and Target default to 2-3 if possible. Pretty sure I am overlooking the setting.

As always, Thank you for helping me keep my pool TF!

W,

I don't think you understand how this works.. Your target FC range is based upon the amount of CYA (Stabilizer) that you have in the pool..

If the app is telling you to maintain a target of 6, it is because that is what you need to be keeping based on your CYA. If the app says 6 and you try to keep it at 3, you will get algae.. Maybe not this time of the year, but you will in the summer for sure.

FC is based upon this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

or... maybe I just don't fully understand the problem.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Wndy and Mdragger88
FWIW, I have a new pool and I am supposed to keep FC at 1-3 per the Wet Edge start up guide...the FC Target defaults to 4 for me and I have to change it each time. Wndy, is your pool new? The other tests stay where I put the target. After the first 28 days, I plan to not override Pool Math targets.

Reactions: Wndy
FWIW, I have a new pool and I am supposed to keep FC at 1-3 per the Wet Edge start up guide...the FC Target defaults to 4 for me and I have to change it each time. Wndy, is your pool new? The other tests stay where I put the target. After the first 28 days, I plan to not override Pool Math targets.
That “target” in poolmath FC page is just for a temporary change that’s being made to calculate the amount of added chlorine. For example if you wanted to temporarily raise the FC to SLAM level, that’s what you would use.

That’s a totally different target than the general FC target displayed on the overview page which is the normal chlorine range you should be shooting for over time. That’s why it’s not changing.

Reactions: Wndy and TampaKathy
Hello,

Everything has been going very well; thanks to TFP and the PoolMath app.

I could use some guidance with the PoolMath app.

Where do I change the Recommended FC range in PoolMath.
Recommended Range: defaults to: 4.0 - 8.0
Target defaults to: 6

I have been changing the FC Target from 6 to 3 each time I enter daily results for the Overview screen to tell me how much chlorine to add. This is generally not a problem; it would just be nice to have the Range and Target default to 2-3 if possible. Pretty sure I am overlooking the setting.

As always, Thank you for helping me keep my pool TF!
When I first started out here I was concerned by the difference between TFP and manufacturers' recommended chemical levels, especially chlorine. After much reading, here and elsewhere, I understand, accept, and align to the TFP and pool math recommended levels. The conflict between the recommendations still bugs me, but I have let it go. 😁

When I first started out here I was concerned by the difference between TFP and manufacturers' recommended chemical levels, especially chlorine.

Wait... You mean there are recommended levels other than TFP?!? :laughblue:

I let my PB take care of the pool for the first 30 days and then once they took it over, I immediately brought it in line with TFP levels. I knew from previous reading on here that using any levels other than TFP could result in trouble, and I wanted to make this experience as easy as possible. So I decided right away that I was going to follow the trouble FREE method, instead of just the trouble method.

--Jeff

Reactions: Wndy and Jimrahbe
W,

I don't think you understand how this works.. Your target FC range is based upon the amount of CYA (Stabilizer) that you have in the pool..

If the app is telling you to maintain a target of 6, it is because that is what you need to be keeping based on your CYA. If the app says 6 and you try to keep it at 3, you will get algae.. Maybe not this time of the year, but you will in the summer for sure.

FC is based upon this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

or... maybe I just don't fully understand the problem.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

...and I thought it was going so well. :)

I appreciate all the replies and insights.

It's true, I do not understand how this works; but I now understand there is FC_CYA correlation. Also, I need to stop overriding the default FC recommendation.

Below are answers to some the questions asked about my pool and other thoughts.

1. My pool is kind of "indoors". It is in a shelter logic tent and also covered when not in use. This set-up lead me astray when gathering my targets and ranges.

2. Pool is new as of September.

3. It seems I may have increased my CYA higher than needed.
Correct me if I am wrong:
- All I need to do is increase my FC to the "Recommended" and "Target" levels as stated in the PoolMath app. (y)

4. I have contemplated adding borates. Pretty sure I am going to hold off on adding another variable until my learning curve is much lower.

"There's no sense in being ignorant,
unless you get to show if off every once in a while."
-
my very wise Grandpa

W,

Do not add borates, for now...

If your pool is "almost" an indoor pool, then a CYA of about 20 is about right.. If the sun can't hit your pool, then it can't consume any FC.

Being a small pool you could drain some to lower your CYA or just leave it as is and maintain the FC to CYA ratio.

You can only be "ignorant" if you refuse to learn... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.