Pool Weeping/Leaking Between Concrete and Guinite

Morency pool

Feb 6, 2021
Atlanta Georgia
We are towards the end of construction of our guinite pool. 5 weeks post fill and waiting for our automatic cover to be installed so at the end of our pool (see photo) we have a well where this cover will go.

During construction guinite was shot then they came back and constructed the “steps” that step up behind the tanning ledge to the cover ledge by hand and tiled and grouted.

The pool has been filled a little over 5 weeks and the “fill line” is almost to the second step. Overflow is over that into the well.

Problem: what we notice is continuous weeping/moisture apparently from the pool between the concrete and the guinite. We are in Atlanta so not major temps swings but this seems concerning for eventually deteriorating and delaminating. Or will I be dead by then and find something else to think about.

Attachments

• C77D815F-6AE5-400B-B02A-45D74C021864.jpeg
    C77D815F-6AE5-400B-B02A-45D74C021864.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 34
  • 300A763E-4FEE-42A5-ABD6-3A583E9F3F35.jpeg
    300A763E-4FEE-42A5-ABD6-3A583E9F3F35.jpeg
    858.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 4BB9C540-E9B0-49D5-A4B3-E6F509B119EC.jpeg
    4BB9C540-E9B0-49D5-A4B3-E6F509B119EC.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 8754D270-18C2-4EEB-BE0B-A7D90AEA81AC.jpeg
    8754D270-18C2-4EEB-BE0B-A7D90AEA81AC.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 34
Concrete and gunite are not waterproof. They should have put a waterproofing layer on the steps and onto the tanning ledge using somethings like Basecrete

Plaster prevents water from getting to the concrete or gunite. But where there is tile only it is difficult getting all the grout lines to be perfectly waterproof, especially with 1X1 size tiles. So a waterproof membrane should be put on tiled surfaces before the tile is installed.

Below shows the material buildup that should be used between concrete and glass tile.

1626430671428-png.355575

Thanks Allen so clearly they didn't do this so now what?

Rip out all the tile and do it over? And if they didn't do it on the tanning ledge they didn't use any type of waterproofing under the glass tile anywhere in the pool would me my bet.

Here comes the "this is the way we always do it speech"

And how big of a problem is this weeping?

And how big of a problem is this weeping?

Depends how bad the weeping gets over time. You are in the early days.

Constant water getting under the tiles will erode the thinset and can lead to tiles and grout coming loose.

If you don't get the builder to fix it now you are looking at a retiling job in a few years when a lot of tiles come loose. Fix it right then.

The weeping is not under the tiles in this case its between the concrete and the guinite but to your point its not going to improve over time and we wont know whats going on once the lid is on the automatic cover area.
I will address it with him on Monday and go from there.

The weeping is not under the tiles in this case its between the concrete and the guinite but to your point its not going to improve over time and we wont know whats going on once the lid is on the automatic cover area.
I will address it with him on Monday and go from there.

I can't tell from your pictures. But something is not properly waterproofed so water is getting to concrete or gunite which it should not. The pool should have waterproof integrity so that water never gets to the shell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.