Pool Water Turnover Too Fast?

Teluvian

Dec 7, 2020
Huntsville Alabama
I'm in the plumbing phase of a pool install and I am a bit concerned my pump is oversized. I have a Hayward SP3210EE 1HP Pump (1.85 SF). My pool is roughly 17000 gallons and has 2 skimmers, 3 returns, and no main drain. I am having my contractor build with 2" plumbing. Based on my best calculations, I will be looking at somewhere around 60ft of TDH when all is said and done with my Hayward C3030 cartridge filter. My filter can handle a flow up to ~120 gpm and the pump look like it will push about 75-80 gpm at this TDH value. With these numbers, I'll be looking at a pool turnover every ~3.5 hours rather than every ~8 hours. I considered returning the pump and purchasing a lower rated version, but the lower rated versions are actually MORE expensive due to market price increases in the time since I purchased. Is a flow rate of ~80 gpm in a pool of this size far too excessive?

Don't focus on turnover volumes. IMO it would be better to have high turnover than low turnover. You have good set up with # of returns and skimmers. Suggest you go with a variable speed pump which not only saves electricity but provides flexibility for pump rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.