Apr 2, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I recently noticed a problem with my pool automation (Pentair EasyTouch + ScreenLogic), specifically the pool water temp sensor. When I open ScreenLogic, the pool water temperature is no longer displayed. Instead, a green dash is displayed where the water temperature is typically shown. Further, I have an alert posted under the Delays & Alerts section, which simply states "Pool Water Temp Sensor" (see attached screenshots). I called my local pool repair place and described the situation, assuming I have a broken temp sensor. They stated that what I described didn't seem to mean the temp sensor was bad. They said they'd happily take my money and install a new one, but that I should wait until I get the system back running again and see how it goes first. Since it wasn't bothering anything, I decided to wait.

Now that the weather is getting warmer here in Austin, TX, I thought I'd dig into this a little more today. I realized I had the power turned off on my heat pump for the winter, so I turned that back on and started it up in hopes that would reset the pool temp sensor. Once the heat pump started up, it seemed to be able to detect the pool water temperature as 67 degrees. However, this temperature reading is still not relaying back to the EasyTouch -> ScreenLogic App. The app still displays per the screenshots below.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2049.PNG
    IMG_2049.PNG
    561.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2050.PNG
    IMG_2050.PNG
    553.9 KB · Views: 9
The temp sensor on mine doesn't kick in until the pump is running. But if it needs to be replaced it's simple to do on your own. Buy off Amazon and like 15 minutes.

Thanks for the response. My pump has been running the whole time, and even through winter without power to my heat pump, I was able to read the temp of the pool water via the app.

An "Err" message is also displayed on my EasyTouch hardware LCD screen. Unfortunately, I'm not yet sure how to get to that message to see what it is.

Thanks for the response. My pump has been running the whole time, and even through winter without power to my heat pump, I was able to read the temp of the pool water via the app.

An "Err" message is also displayed on my EasyTouch hardware LCD screen. Unfortunately, I'm not yet sure how to get to that message to see what it is.

You could try an ohmmeter between the leads to make sure it is the temp sensor. It never hurts to have a spare though. They do go out and are cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Here is how to test the existing one.

Post pics of your equipment pad and show us where the temperature sensor is placed.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay. Photos attached.

Perhaps hard to see in the pad picture, but the temp sensor is installed on top of the PVC tubing in front of the pump. I've provided a close up of the temp sensor install, as well as the screens displayed by the EasyTouch (showing the Err message) and the heat pump, showing the temp as 69 degrees, which is probably close based on the temps over the last several days.

Appreciate any insights.

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 20
If you have a multimeter you can temporarily disconnect the sensor from the panel and check it's resistance (and compare with the table on the temperature sensors further reading page listed above). If you don't have a multi-meter you can also temporarily wire either a 10k resistor, or the Ambient temperature sensor to the connection for the water sensor and see if you get a reading for water temperature. Most likely the issue is the sensor has failed and it is a pretty easy task to swap it for a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.