In The Industry
Aug 22, 2022
San Jose
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just bought a home with a plaster in ground pool. It has a de filter. about 22000 gal.
Free Chlorine 10.22
Total chlorine 14.1
Combined Chlorine 3.88
PH 7.9
Alkalinity 127
Adjusted Alkalinity 59
Calcium Hardness 439
Cyanuric Acid 226
The pool water is very clear. After reading some of your recommended ranges this pool appears to be extremely of balance. I am hoping for some advice. Thank you

Welcome to TFP.
Based on your test data, this appears to be pool store test results. Pool store results can be questionable which is why we prefer pool owners do their own testing with a recommended test kit. Test Kits Compared

That being said - if we can believe your test data - it shows that the pool must be chlorinated with trichlor pucks because your CYA value is very high. Also your CC value is very high and suggests that you have algae in your pool. Do you have visible algae? You state the pool is clear but there is something brewing if your CC is nearly 4ppm.

If you want to get the pool back in control, it would require draining nearly all of your water and replacing it. This would be a fresh start.

I am curious - what did the pool store recommend and did they sell you any products?

The results are from a Lamotte 2087 ColorQ 2X Pro 7. No visible algae. Pool water is very clear. We are not allowed to drain and refill a pool in San Jose because of drought. No new pools allowed to be filled in my area. Water test was not at pool store.

The colorQ is better than a pool store but TFP still questions it's accuracy.

Free Chlorine 10.22
Total chlorine 14.1
Combined Chlorine 3.88
PH 7.9
Alkalinity 127
Adjusted Alkalinity 59
Calcium Hardness 439
Cyanuric Acid 226

Assuming your tests are close to correct, your combined chloramines of 3.88 indicate a lot of contaminants in your pool and the suggestion would be to SLAM. That said, your crystal clear water makes me think there is a testing error.

The other REALLY IMPORTANT issue is the CYA of 226. That is a virtually unmanageable pool and suggests draining about 75% of your water to reduce CYA to around 50-60. Again, I suspect a testing error.

What issues are you having?

Reactions: Bperry
The colorQ is better than a pool store but TFP still questions it's accuracy.

Free Chlorine 10.22
Total chlorine 14.1
Combined Chlorine 3.88
PH 7.9
Alkalinity 127
Adjusted Alkalinity 59
Calcium Hardness 439
Cyanuric Acid 226

Assuming your tests are close to correct, your combined chloramines of 3.88 indicate a lot of contaminants in your pool and the suggestion would be to SLAM. That said, your crystal clear water makes me think there is a testing error.

The other REALLY IMPORTANT issue is the CYA of 226. That is a virtually unmanageable pool and suggests draining about 75% of your water to reduce CYA to around 50-60. Again, I suspect a testing error.

What issues are you having?
I am not having any issues other than trying to get my pool to the values recommended.
Here is another test from a spin touch.
Free Chlorine8.36 ppm
Total Chlorine10.46 ppm
Combined Chlorine2.1 ppm
Bromine0.7 ppm
pH7.7
Alkalinity99 ppm
Adjusted Alkalinity36 ppm
Calcium Hardness823 ppm
Cyanuric Acid211 ppm

SpinTouch is equally unreliable but, assuming you believe these two sets of results, You need to drain about 70% of your pool water to reduce your CYA to a manageable 50-60 ppm. Then you will need to test your water again to see what your CC test will yield. Any result greater than 1.0, then I would suggest a SLAM regardless of water clarity

An example of why we don't like these tests is your CH. It's nearly double from one test to the next. You simply can't depend on the results.

SpinTouch is equally unreliable but, assuming you believe these two sets of results, You need to drain about 70% of your pool water to reduce your CYA to a manageable 50-60 ppm. Then you will need to test your water again to see what your CC test will yield. Any result greater than 1.0, then I would suggest a SLAM regardless of water clarity

An example of why we don't like these tests is your CH. It's nearly double from one test to the next. You simply can't depend on the results.
Thank You for your response.

Do you have any info on how the pool was maintained before you acquired it? That might give some clues as to the CYA levels. I suspect that even with a more reliable test, you'll find your CYA is very high. I'm just not sure where that puts you - if you truly can't replace some water (understandable), it's very hard to manage a pool with that high a CYA level. Maybe someone else can chime in, or maybe this is the one case where you try a very dubious CYA eating potion that really is very rarely or never recommended, and doesn't appear to work most of the time.

Do you have any info on how the pool was maintained before you acquired it? That might give some clues as to the CYA levels. I suspect that even with a more reliable test, you'll find your CYA is very high. I'm just not sure where that puts you - if you truly can't replace some water (understandable), it's very hard to manage a pool with that high a CYA level. Maybe someone else can chime in, or maybe this is the one case where you try a very dubious CYA eating potion that really is very rarely or never recommended, and doesn't appear to work most of the time.
Unfortunately I have no records

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately I have no records
If you continue to use trichlor pucks the CYA will only increase and will continue to challenge if the pool is properly sanitized. We all have drought restrictions in place so you just may need to live with that issue for a while.
It is great that you do not have a breakout of algae but I think it is just a matter of time especially with the high CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.