Pool water clear, but free chlorine test cloudy?

PoolNewb2

Jul 15, 2020
West Central, FL
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I've been testing my levels with the Taylor 2006c test kit and the fc test has been cloudy recently. The pool looks clear with no signs of algae.

I added calcium about 2 weeks ago by dissolving in a bucket, but there are still flakes and powder on the bottom of the pool. CH came back 375, so I'm vacuuming up the extra calcium on the bottom.

I also took the sample to a pool store who told me my FC levels were low and that the ichlor was not producing enough. Cleaned my cell and same low fc/cloudy result the next week (cya 30 - added stabilizer to pump it up to 50 per their rec, phosphates 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 2), so I called the pool company and added a chlorine Puck in the meantime.

Pool company came out 2 weeks later and said my levels were unbalanced and ichlor was producing. We've been having frequent rains. They said Ch was too high at 380, ta too low at 60, fc 1, cya 0, ph high 7.8, salt level 3300.

I did tests with my Taylor kit yesterday and the results are below. Any recommendations? The fc test is still cloudy and low. When I dump the test water back into the pool, it turns a bright pink, much brighter than what is in the tube. Is something wrong with my test kit or am I doing something wrong. The fc test was clear pink in the past, now cloudy light pink.

10,000 gallon SWCG pool
Ichlor 30 at 80%
Water temp 81 degrees
Salt Level 3375 ppm

FC 0.4
CC 0.2
CYA 65
PH 7.5-7.6
TA 90
CH 375

Thanks in advance.

Not sure this is relevant, but when using the R-0870 powder and R0871 reagent, the amount of powder you use can be important. You can use too little and get an incorrect reading, but too much will never hurt. I did a bunch of tests to be sure. That little scoop gets encrusted with powder and you don't always get a full measure of the 870. Also, be sure you have 10ml of pool water. Ideally rinse the Chlorine Only container with pool water before you fill to 10ml for the test. And why do you pour the solution back into the pool?

Finally, your results for FC, CC, and CYA don't sound like Taylor test results. If those are from the pool store, do your own. If you don't have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, you should consider it. No other source of salt concentration is as accurate.

Your FC is way too low for your CYA of 70. 65 is not readable on the scale, so round up.
Use the FC/CYA Levels to know what your FC levels need to be.
Add liquid chlorine to get your FC to or just above your target level.

Which Taylor testkit do you have? Add it to your signature.

Reactions: PoolNewb2
Not sure this is relevant, but when using the R-0870 powder and R0871 reagent, the amount of powder you use can be important. You can use too little and get an incorrect reading, but too much will never hurt. I did a bunch of tests to be sure. That little scoop gets encrusted with powder and you don't always get a full measure of the 870. Also, be sure you have 10ml of pool water. Ideally rinse the Chlorine Only container with pool water before you fill to 10ml for the test. And why do you pour the solution back into the pool?

Finally, your results for FC, CC, and CYA don't sound like Taylor test results. If those are from the pool store, do your own. If you don't have a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, you should consider it. No other source of salt concentration is as accurate.

I read that it was okay to dump the test water back in. Maybe it's affecting results and I shouldn't...

The results are from the Taylor 2006c test kit. I just used the 25ml marker (0.2ppm per drop). Cya marker level was between 60-70, so I estimated it. I got the salt level from the ichlor and pool store had a similar reading. I'll test levels again and post results.

The vacuum picked up a bunch of calcium sitting at the bottom of the pool (Active 30).

Thanks.

Your FC is way too low for your CYA of 70. 65 is not readable on the scale, so round up.
Use the FC/CYA Levels to know what your FC levels need to be.
Add liquid chlorine to get your FC to or just above your target level.

Which Taylor testkit do you have? Add it to your signature.
I have a bag of shock in hand. Can I add that to get the fc level up in the meantime?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.