Pool was just replastered, bumps around jets and poor finish under tiles

jeanft

Mar 17, 2016
Houston
Filling up the pool and noticed big bumps around jet, not flat at all. Normal?
In the deep end (10ft), it seems that it was not easy to reach the bottom of tiles and create a nice line as opposed to other areas of pool. Far more plaster on the left side and poor finish on right. Can they sand it? Add plaster? Do i still need to add water, assuming that they will come to fix the problem?

Attachments

• plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 77
  • plaster2.jpg
    plaster2.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 75
  • plaster 3.jpg
    plaster 3.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 75
The bumps are really hard solid. Is it possible to sand area to get it flat? Poor job under the tiles for sure. Do I still need to fill up the pool?
I need to contact them in the morning, they are expecting me to pay the other half!
Thank you.

I would not stop filling unless the contractor says so.

The bumps probably won't be fixable.

Trying to fix it now would probably make it look worse.

The area under the tile might be able to be sanded down some.

Once the pool is full and the water is moving, you probably won't be able to see the imperfections.

The problems will be most noticeable at night with the pool light on and no water movement.

I suspect that the contractor will probably not want to do anything.

See what they say about what can be done.

The light has been removed and they plastered the hole. I found another bump close to the three steps in the wall going to the metal ladder. Brilliant idea to use HomeAdvisor and choose a company with great feedback!
Thank you Sir.

I just looked back at your other thread. Concrete slabs sinking around pool. What could be done? Did they not do a full chip out of the old plaster? That may be why the surface is lumpy in spots, and if you try to sand it down you will probably hit the old plaster pretty quick. The top layer of plaster is probably not as thick as you would normally see with a full chip out and re-plaster job. I looked at the picture of the return fitting again, and it looks like they didn't even clean off the fitting when they put on the plaster. Its got some plaster up on the plastic collar.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good point Zea3. They just hammered the pool moving inch by inch. As far as I remember, the plaster around this jet before was pretty flat to me. I used a scuba tank in this pool quite often and I am familiar with it. Most of the estimates that I received were pointing to this approach. A total removing of all plaster was proposed one time and the price was way higher. I guess overall it was a poor quality job. It's not brain surgery jeeze.

Hello,
Some pictures from the pool which looks pretty nice with water. I contacted the woman in charge Monday morning, describing the poor job done by the crew, she said everything was supposed to be fine and I had to brush the pool. When I asked her if the people who worked on site were part of her company, she said yes when I had pics of a truck from a different pool business. Perfect example of subcontractor. Emailed all pics to the contractor and since then not a word. I guess they are not planning to do anything, empty pool, break plaster and install a new one.

Attachments

• pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 30
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 30
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.