Pool wand issue, something caught in pump, broken lateral, I hate pools.

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
Since I bought my home 3 years ago this forum has been immensely helpful in keeping me sane since the house included an in ground pool. However, I'm not a pool person and have been in it maybe 3 times since buying the house. Its a source of constant maintenance even with this site's awesome mantra of avoiding pool stores and just using liquid chlorine and balancing ph. But with the season upon us, I now have a few issues to go along with a a pool turning green and a broken lateral.

1. The first is going to make me look like an idiot but at this point I don't care. I bought a new collapsible handle to sweep, vacuum, and skim the pool with and its worked fine for about a year. However recently upon vacuuming the pool, one of the ends collapsed as its designed to do and I cant get it to stay extended anymore. This has got to be an extremely simple fix but I'm at my wits end trying to find how to get the handle to stay fully extended and I haven't been able to sweep my pool since. What gives? You can tell there is supposed to be an internal collar thats supposed to hold the handle extended after you screw each piece together but I cant find it on the piece that keeps collapsing. Please help me outsmart a pool wand.

2. I took the filter basked out of my pool to change out the pool sock that was clogged up with a pollen and left the pump running. This was a bad idea because I believe this is now why my pool pump makes god awful racket when I try to run it at all. So now I cant even run the pump to keep the pool from turning further green. Its most likely a piece of tape or some other other debris that has gotten wrapped around the pump propeller but I have ZERO clue on how to disassemble this thing to fix it. Whats my best course of action? Can I dump the several gallons of bleach into the pool to keep it from turning more green or do I have to have the pump to circulate it?

3. Then there is the broken lateral I've known about for a long time. The pool has all the telltale signs including spraying sand in a line from the jets and sand visible in the multivalve. I don't have a shop vac and honestly its worth it to me to pay a pool company to deal with this instead of myself. But with all the lockdowns going on I dont even know if thats possible. Does anyone have an idea of what Im looking at from a pool shop to have the lateral fixed? What about the pump? I'm in SC.

Sorry if I'm a bit incoherent but I really need to catch a break in the home maintenance department.

I cont help you much, but on #2, yes you absolutely can add chlorine to your pool even if the pump is off. Just add the bleach and then brush your pool to help stir around the chlorine.

@JJ_Tex got 2 so I will hit on 1&3

Please help me outsmart a pool wand
Good luck with that!!! Sigh............I bought a new one when my old one would not stay long......So now I have one short one for when I am inside the pool and a long one for when I am working from the deck. They don't take up much room so it works for me.

honestly its worth it to me to pay a pool company to deal with this instead of myself.
What I would do is go ahead and order the parts you need. That way you can have it there when you find someone to come out to fix them. Pool stores and services are considered essential so they should be open. Give them a call and see what they say.

The basket being out should not cause the pump to go bad UNLESS it not being there allowed something to get in to the pump. Look for your pumps owners manual on line and see if they have a "blow up" of it to see how to take it apart AFTER you turn off the breaker your equipment is on.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.