Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hope all is well, I’m weeks from shoot and I’m considering steps in the wall at either side of the spa which jets out in the pool. I’ve attached what I perceive as a step that can be installed on the side of the pool. I’m looking for advice from anyone who has experience with steps on the wall of a concrete pool. Lastly has builders formed the steps during the shoot? Thanks! Rod

Attachments

• A83DE49B-2850-4975-8595-AE2226FF193E.jpeg
    A83DE49B-2850-4975-8595-AE2226FF193E.jpeg
    2.9 KB · Views: 17
Yep, they can form steps during the shoot. It takes a bit extra concrete and finishing effort, so they may ask for fair (or unfair) compensation.

For me, the key point with steps is to consider the distance down to the first step from the finished height (i.e. concrete plus coping thickness) and then the next step down the same as that distance. So on bare concrete, the first step down will be less than the subsequent steps.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Thanks for the reply! I’m doing cantilever decking if that matters for your suggestion. Do you recommend I have the steps formed or use the plastic step I included in my post?

Half my spa is going to be in the main pool and I’m considering steps on each side of the spa wall to provide access to the spa from the pool. Thanks

Oh OK, I looked at that picture but couldn't quite understand what it was, lol.

Inserted things like that can become algae farms that need to be dealt with, brushed around, etc. Personally I would do it in concrete.

By cantilevered coping, is that the ~1/2" overhang? If so, no worries at all. I made my first step a tiny bit wider tread than the others to allow for that, but it's not essential unless the tread width is tight for some other reason.

Steps should be formed by the gunite so they can be plastered over.

You say you want to put the steps on the spa walls. What will you be finishing the spa walls with?

The steps need to be planned with the pool builder and he may need to form the step with rebar to then cover with gunite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.