Pool Vergnuegen cleaner

Aug 12, 2016
Murrieta,CA
Hello All,
I have had two Pool Vergnuegen cleaners now and I they are the best cleaners I ever had IMHO.
The only problem I have is that they always crawl the walls TOO well and come out of the water sucking air for ever and makes this terrrible noise that my neighbors think I'm drowning my wife.
Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
I have a pebble tech pool, and changing out to new tires won't help either as stated by the manufacturer. (I have the two wheel unit with the stub tires).
Any help greatly apreciated.
Thomas

It is ran by suction so you will need to turn down the suction speed of the pump.. I have a 3 way valve that works great for this... one side is the cleaner and the other side is the skimmer, I can set it to a perfect amount to where it goes almost all the way up the wall but not out of the water... :)

My pool has a dedicated suction port. I can adjust the suction in two ways - with the multi-valve and an adjustable valve at the dedicated port (as shown).

Attachments

• poolvergnuegen-poolcleaner-adjustable-regulator-valve-white-896584000-952-10.jpg
    poolvergnuegen-poolcleaner-adjustable-regulator-valve-white-896584000-952-10.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
As stated above, you need to control the suction either by pump speed, a three way valve, or an adjustable valve at the suction port.

If you are connecting the cleaner through a plate with the skimmer, you can also get a skimmer plate with integrated valve. They are designed as "auto skimmer valve", which I think don't work very well. I just removed the spring, and now I can just open the valve manually to control the cleaner speed.

I was using the valve that came with the cleaner before, but in the skimmer box it was very close below the water surface, and often sucked air in through a vortex.

The valve in the skimmer box sits a bit lower, and the grid over the valve breaks a vortex immediately, preventing air being sucked in.

Here is an example:
Waterco-Skimtrol-plate.jpg

Thank you all for your great input.
We are using the adjustable valve that came with the cleaner. Problem is if you open the valve enough to significantly slow down the suction then the skimmer (without a leaf basket because of the adj. valve), sucks in all the leaves and debris through the system and into the filter, which means a lot more filter cleaning cycles.
But I will definitely try that route. The cleaner came with a pressure tester to determine the adjustable valve setting, so I thought I had that aspect covered. I'll keep you informed how it goes.
Thomas

Problem is if you open the valve enough to significantly slow down the suction then the skimmer (without a leaf basket because of the adj. valve), sucks in all the leaves and debris through the system and into the filter, which means a lot more filter cleaning cycles.
Your pump basket would be the last line of defense. It'll catch smaller debris than the skimmer basket. You just need to check the pump basket frequently when the pool has a lot of debris.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Hello All,
I have had two Pool Vergnuegen cleaners now and I they are the best cleaners I ever had IMHO.
The only problem I have is that they always crawl the walls TOO well and come out of the water sucking air for ever and makes this terrrible noise that my neighbors think I'm drowning my wife.
Does anybody have a solution for this problem?
I have a pebble tech pool, and changing out to new tires won't help either as stated by the manufacturer. (I have the two wheel unit with the stub tires).
Any help greatly apreciated.
Thomas
If you have a 3-way valve (cleaner/skimmer valve) at your equipment pad just before the suction of the pump, that is the easiest way to keep the cleaner from trying to climb out of the pool. Adjust the valve so more water comes from the skimmer and less from the cleaner. Or reduce the RPM of the pump some, if you have a variable speed pump.
I agree with your statement regarding the durability/reliability of the Hayward Aquanaut/Vergnuegen (same same)... I want a robot but waiting on my Aquanaut to die first. Short of removing it from the pool and putting it to death via a shotgun blast, it just won't die. It thinks it's the energizer bunny. :mrgreen:
r.

no three-way, just the two holes in the skimmer, and no suction port at the pool wall. Agree with you on the cleaner.....going and going and going..........
Ah yes, okay. My neighbor has the same type of setup with his pool (no suction-side port and no skimmer/cleaner suction valve). He had to use one of those "contraptions" in his skimmer as well. I used to cuss that thing every time I would go over to help him with a pool problem lol. Finally my pleas to him paid off and he laid down the cash for a super nice Maytronics robot.

Since then, no more cleaner/suction problems. Pump only draws water from his skimmer now and so not only is his surface much cleaner but the bottom and sides are as well.

He has had so much success with the robot, and so because of that and all the positive reports here on TFP, I want one now. It will allow me to run my pump at the very minimum speed possible. A technique used by many here.

Take care...
r.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your great input.
We are using the adjustable valve that came with the cleaner. Problem is if you open the valve enough to significantly slow down the suction then the skimmer (without a leaf basket because of the adj. valve), sucks in all the leaves and debris through the system and into the filter, which means a lot more filter cleaning cycles.
But I will definitely try that route. The cleaner came with a pressure tester to determine the adjustable valve setting, so I thought I had that aspect covered. I'll keep you informed how it goes.
Thomas

You need something to catch larger debris before it gets to the pump. You could either try a vacuum plate for the skimmer, so you can leave the basket in, or use an inline leaf catcher.

Yes I agree. I was initially trying to manipulate a leaf basket in the skimmer to catch most leaves and debris (didn't work too well), before it would end up in the leaf basket by the pump.
I think there is one available in the industry somewhere.
I don't have a varaible pump so slowing down wouldnt be possible here.

Yes I agree. I was initially trying to manipulate a leaf basket in the skimmer to catch most leaves and debris (didn't work too well), before it would end up in the leaf basket by the pump.
I think there is one available in the industry somewhere.
I don't have a varaible pump so slowing down wouldnt be possible here.

You shouldn't have to manipulate the leaf basket. Usually, in the skimmer there is a ledge for a vacuum plate - just a plate with a rubber seal and a hole for the cleaner hose, like in the picture in my first post. Then you can just leave the normal leaf basket in the skimmer, under the vacuum plate.

I had the same cleaner but with a suction fitting on the pool wall I was able to adjust speed to the spec very easily. That cleaner just works great and may last a lifetime if you keep changing the tires when they get sticky. But then I switched to a VS motor on the pump. Couldn't really ever get the speed to stay in range while getting best advantage of the VS pump. I finally went through a couple sets of tires and then gave in to robot envy. My advice is give it up and switch. Like several things the experts here recommended the robot switch was great! The robot runs just 2 hr per day and cleans way better than the suction cleaner ever did. I could probably reduce run time even more. I manual brush once in a while just because I think it's good to do. But never have anything that really needs to be manually brushed. Pool's never been so clean and trouble-free. I should have switched years ago instead of messing with the suction cleaner. With my robot and conversion to salt the pool is almost maintenance free... I just test weekly and tell myself "pool care is getting pretty boring".

I hope this helps.

Chris

I'm looking at ordering this "hole -in-th-basket" product right now1607188433224.pngbut with my skimmer bottom having two holes (but only one has suction actually), im not sure if the adjustable valve gets all clogged up again with debris and adds to the cleaners suction pressure

But that still doesn't solve the problem that larger debris being sucked in by cleaner from the bottom of the pool gets straight to the pump basket.

And yes, debris blocking the flow adjuster and speeding up the cleaner again, is a constant problem. Only solution there is to adjust the flow via pump speed. I use a combination of both.

Here's an idea: what if I install the adjustable pressure regulator somewhere still in the pool along the hose (say, right before or after the leaf basket), and then go into the skimmer through the hole-in-the-basket? Would that eliminate the clogging of the pressure regulator and fix the high pressure problem, though still keep functionality of leaf and debris catching of the skimmer??

You can give it a go. Do I get that right that both holes in your skimmer box are pulling in water, one through the hose, and one through the basket keeping skimming going? In that case it could help to have the adjuster valve outside the skimmer box, where the leave density would be highest.

But there is a risk that the valve will suck in air, either by being pushed above the water surface or through a vortex just under the surface. If that happens you could try hose weights to keep the hose lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.