Pool Turned very Cloudy Overnight (First Time Pool Owner)(K-2006 test results)

bov188

Jul 4, 2018
North NJ
Hi all, we just moved into our new house which has a pool (24k gallons, Vinyl inground w/ DE Filter) and was hoping I could get some advice.

For the first 4 weeks of having the pool open I was using test strips to test and add chemicals and eventually I got my pool crystal clear (A combination of 57% cal-hypo, and a PH/TA reducer from local pool store). Fast forward to this past Saturday (6/30) I finally received my TM K-2006 test kit.

After my first test I realized that I needed to add chlorine and lower PH/TA. If I recall correctly, I added ~32oz of dry acid, and 2 hours later I added 2.5-3lbs of 57% cal-hypo... ran my filter for ~18 hours straight and tested the next morning. The following day the numbers looked decent and we went swimming that afternoon (7/1).

Monday came and went, and Tuesday morning I woke up and noticed my pool had gotten very cloudy overnight. I didn't have time to test until after work and when I got home I noticed the water was even cloudier. While doing the 10ml chlorine test I could not get the sample to turn pink after adding several rounded dippers of R0870 ... Which I assume would mean I had no chlorine? I only had 1 1lbs bag of 57% cal-hypo left and my pool store was already closed, so I added 1lbs of the cal-hypo, let my filter run all night, and hoped for the best. However, it is still very cloudy today.

As you can see from my test results below, I was not testing CYA with my K-2006 (Dumb, I know ... A lesson learned). I'm sure it's safe to assume my CYA was 0 for the first few days. The only time CYA was added was during the first day of opening.

6/307/17/27/37/4
FC.53N/A0.5
CC1.5.5N/A0.5
TC23.5N/A01
PH8.07.2N/A7.27.2
TA220100N/A100100
CHN/A160N/A140120
CYAN/AN/AN/A00
** N/A = Did not test
6/30 - Added 32oz Dry Acid to Lower PH/TA, and (2 hours later) 2.5-3lbs of 57% cal-hypo
7/1 - Went swimming
7/2 - No test, chems, or swimming
7/3 - Wake up and pool is very cloudy. Add 1lbs 57% cal-hypo in the evening
7/4 - Retest. I'm at your mercy TFP

So before I take any action I figured I would come here and ask for some advice:

I know I will need to add CYA. I purchased Stabilizing Powder from my local pool store. After reading a bit online I think Liquid would be my best option (works quicker from what I understand). The powder is unopened and I have the receipt so I can exchange for the liquid if that's my best option?

Obviously, I need to add chlorine but should I continue with cal-hypo? Or should I go with trichlor or dichlor? I'm really confused about what the best type of chlorine to use for my situation. I've only been using cal-hypo because that's what my pool store recommended after first opening

Also, is the cloudiness caused by the lack of chlorine/CYA? Will getting my chlorine/CYA up fix the cloudiness?

Thanks for any incoming advice.

Stick with teh granular CYA, it woks fine.

No CYA is the main rason your chlorine won't stay around. With no CYA your chlorine has about a 2 - 3 hour lifespan in the pool on a sunny day.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes in the toes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need to get to your first target. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process or just leave it alone, your choice. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

We also like to see folks add chemicals like CYA in stages. In your case, add enough to target 30 and wait to see the results. Then target 50, then target the final 70. Doing it in stages allows you to make sure you don't overshoot your goal. We find that many people are slightly "off" on the volume of their pool, so it's easy to add too much of a chemical.

dbtgallery.php

The CalHypo is going to add calcium which you do not need in your vinyl pool. Looking at your test results, unless you have been changing water the calcium CH test should not be moving down like that, so I'm assuming a test error. I would recommend liquid chlorine over granular.

Stick with teh granular CYA, it woks fine.

No CYA is the main rason your chlorine won't stay around. With no CYA your chlorine has about a 2 - 3 hour lifespan in the pool on a sunny day.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes in the toes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need to get to your first target. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process or just leave it alone, your choice. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

We also like to see folks add chemicals like CYA in stages. In your case, add enough to target 30 and wait to see the results. Then target 50, then target the final 70. Doing it in stages allows you to make sure you don't overshoot your goal. We find that many people are slightly "off" on the volume of their pool, so it's easy to add too much of a chemical.

Thanks for the quick response! I will definitely do that today.

Does it matter which order I am adding CYA/Chlorine? Do I have to wait in between adding one or the other?

The CalHypo is going to add calcium which you do not need in your vinyl pool. Looking at your test results, unless you have been changing water the calcium CH test should not be moving down like that, so I'm assuming a test error. I would recommend liquid chlorine over granular.

For the first 3 weeks I was back washing and vacuuming to waste like crazy, so a lot of water was replaced. But in the past several days I have not backwashed or vacuumed to waste. What about dichlor or trichlor pucks?

Use the cya graunlues, the cya will be in the pool before your liquid will come in. Use PoolMath for additions. Use the sock method hanging at a return not touching anything

2006 is small, only 6 cya tests, test cya a week after you add it.

Use bleach every day for clorine. Solid forms of clorine are unsustainable. Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Use muratic acid after you run out of dry acid, dry acid is bad for your pool

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And my example of adding CYA in steps was for a salt water chlorine generator pool with a final target of 70. Just target 30 in your pool

So far I’ve added 4lbs of CYA (2lbs early afternoon yesterday, 2lbs late evening). Both fully dissolved using the sock method you mentioned above... so thanks for the tip.

problem is I still am not getting any CYA reading using my K-2006 test kit. The sample is not clouding even the slightest bit

When can I expect to get a reading when testing?

So far I’ve added 4lbs of CYA (2lbs early afternoon yesterday, 2lbs late evening). Both fully dissolved using the sock method you mentioned above... so thanks for the tip.

problem is I still am not getting any CYA reading using my K-2006 test kit. The sample is not clouding even the slightest bit

When can I expect to get a reading when testing?
It may actually take a day or two for it to show up, so don't waste any mote tests on it now. PoolMath says 64 oz of CYA would cause your CYA to rise 20. Does you CYA tube have 20 or 30 as the lowest number? With the inherent error built in to the test you may never see a 20 reading even if that is the lowest number on your tube.

In either case, assume CYA 20 for now.

Use the cya graunlues, the cya will be in the pool before your liquid will come in. Use PoolMath for additions. Use the sock method hanging at a return not touching anything

2006 is small, only 6 cya tests, test cya a week after you add it.

Use bleach every day for clorine. Solid forms of clorine are unsustainable. Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Use muratic acid after you run out of dry acid, dry acid is bad for your pool

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Look at bold above

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.