Pool timer stops when it hits the on tripper tab

Jun 9, 2018
Baldwin, Florida
I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose my pool timer. It is a model T104p3. We replaced the clock motor a couple of years ago but now it is acting up again.

The motor to our pool pump burned up a few months ago and we had to replace it. Ever since we placed that motor the timer has been acting strange. When the clock comes around to the on tripper the clock just stops moving so it won't turn the pump on. I don't know if it's the motor again or if there's something wrong with the tripper tab? Or for some strange reason I can't put it on right anymore 🤷‍♀️.
I appreciate any help. We are taking a little vacation so I need to fix this ASAP.

If you just replaced the motor a few years ago then the gear mechanism is probably worn.

Replace the entire timer mechanism.

So we replaced the mechanism. It was working fine and shut off when it was supposed to, but it never came on the next morning. When I went to check on it the timer wasn't working. The clock was still at the shut off time. 🥺
Any ideas what could have happened?

Post a pic of the timer mechanism showing the wiring.

I think you may have the white timer motor power wires on the wrong screws.

What model number mechanism did you install?

Do you have your old mechanism?

Did you take a pic of the wiring on your old mechanism before you started work?

I labeled the wires and conduits so we can discuss your wiring.

This wiring is not to code. Code requires both hot lines be switches for a 240V circuit. The red wires from BB and CC are connected to the LINE side when they should be on the LOAD side and switched with their black pair.

At this point I am suspicious of what you have and if it is 240V or 120V.

Do you have a multimeter that you can put on the LINE screws and confirm the voltage?

What do AA, BB, and CC wires run to?

timer wiring.jpg

Do you have your old mechanism?

Did you take a pic of the wiring on your old mechanism before you started work?

I labeled the wires and conduits so we can discuss your wiring.

This wiring is not to code. Code requires both hot lines be switches for a 240V circuit. The red wires from BB and CC are connected to the LINE side when they should be on the LOAD side and switched with their black pair.

At this point I am suspicious of what you have and if it is 240V or 120V.

Do you have a multimeter that you can put on the LINE screws and confirm the voltage?

What do AA, BB, and CC wires run to?

View attachment 463213

Ok.... AA runs to the power box, BB is the pool pump, and CC is the heater but it's disconnected because our heater burned up.
Am attaching a pic of the power box.

Attachments

• 20221120_171044.jpg
    20221120_171044.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 8
Red wire 1 should go to the same LOAD screw as 2.

Red wire A should go to the same LOAD screw as B.

If you manually flip the silver toggle on does the clock wheel run and does the pump run?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Red wire 1 should go to the same LOAD screw as 2.

Red wire A should go to the same LOAD screw as B.

If you manually flip the silver toggle on does the clock wheel run and does the pump run?

The pump runs manually, but the clock wheel does not.

We're sitting down to dinner now so I will have him set it right in the morning when it's light outside.
Thank you so much for your help! I will probably Hollar at you in the morning 😁.

Sounds like Infant mortality.

Put the multimeter on the two screws where the white wires are connected to. If you have 240V at the screws then the motor failed.

Return the mechanism under warranty.

Check the back of the mechanism that the stamp on the motor says it is a 208-240V motor.

Sounds like Infant mortality.

Put the multimeter on the two screws where the white wires are connected to. If you have 240V at the screws then the motor failed.

Return the mechanism under warranty.

Check the back of the mechanism that the stamp on the motor says it is a 208-240V motor.
It's actually a 208/277 clock motor exactly like we had before except the model number is different.

Attachments

• 20221117_105340.jpg
    20221117_105340.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221121-113909_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121-113909_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 6
Check the actual motor on the back of the mechanism, not the piece of paper.

If you confirmed you have power to the timer white wires and the motor does not run then it is dead.

Do a warranty claim or return it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.