Pool that turns a bit cloudy and green when very sunny

tuxedy

Jan 16, 2021
Rwanda
Hello all, I've been having a small issue with my pool. For starters, I live in Rwanda where the UV index can hit 11 on normal days. We are in a very sunny season at the moment, no rain for several weeks. Also we have a dirt road near our house and it gets pretty dusty at times.

I've been running my filter for 5 hours a day, since electricity costs so much here. But these are my values
Concrete painted pool 60,000L
FC: 9
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
CH: 500
CYA: 45
Alk: 50

I use Cal Hypo 65 granular for regular addition of chlorine every 2 days. I've historically kept my pool at 8-12FC since my previous reading of cyanuric acid was 65 several months ago. It's dropped to 45 over the last 3 months with extreme sun. The last time I slammed my pool was in May, and it was expensive with my CYA levels being higher. I was hoping it could drop down to 50 or so so my slam won't be so high on chemicals.

The pool kept crystal clear for the first month, but after a pool party / super sun it went a bit cloudy and teal and has never regained its clarity since. I also dropped my pump run time (sand) to 5 hours from original 6, and also we are in a very dusty dry period of time. Also we haven't had any sun. Our tap water is very soft (CH of 50).

My question is, I'm not that motivated to slam at the moment, but my usual chlorine consumption is only 2 per day which isn't bad for being at the equator, and my cc is usually low and I don't have any over night chlorine loss. The pool really does change more teal when the sun is intense and sometimes bounces back a bit on its own. Do I really need to slam my pool or simply run my pump longer? Is it due to the fact I have a sand filter? I tend to try and backwash as little as possible to make my filter more effective. I backwash every 3 weeks or so, and it is pretty dirty when I do.

Any thoughts?

A slam won't get rid of iron per say, but if the iron level is high enough the higher chlorine levels may make the iron in the water oxidize and fall out of solution. The result will be rusty brown water. The rust can be filtered out with fiber fill pillow stuffing in the skimmer.

Water color shouldn't change during the day. Nice & clear all day. A skimmer sock only captures the tiny debris that settles on the water's surface. Your water color changes sound like either algae trying to bloom or perhaps metals reacting to chlorine additions. Maybe post a couple pics of your water?

Photos to come.
Is it possible for algae to bloom if my FC never drops below the suggested amount? Even for this last while I was overdosing since my CYA level had dropped but I was still giving enough FC level?

We had a pretty torrential rain fall, gained about 2 inches of water in my pool. It went to a deep green pretty quickly, though clarity was similar to what it looked like before. The pool was around 10ppm on Sunday night but by Tuesday morning it dropped to 5. This is the first real rainfall in 2-3 months. The sky was pretty dusty and nasty the last few weeks.

My ph was still 7.4, I didn't bring it down to 7.2 but began to slam at 18 (cya 45) since this morning. Been checking and upping the chlorine every few hours. It only dropped to 17 after 4 hours... wondering if it really is algae or just being tempermental? My alkalinity has always been low (50) and was wondering if that contributes to the green clear pool? As I can tell water didn't run into the pool from the deck or surrounding grass. But then again, it was pouring so hard.

Here are some photos from the morning at 7:30am

IMG_2746.JPG IMG_2747.JPG

12:00pm

IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2748.JPG

This is what the pool looks like when its super clear after a SLAM (which I haven't done since May, but the pool has struggled with some clarity since July)

IMG_1634.JPG

I would love for the pool not to turn green after a big rainfall. My FC levels were decent (about 8 going into the storm)... any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.