Pool/Swamp

jfenim

Aug 5, 2019
Rhode Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have an inground pool at my house that has pretty much not been maintained in anyway for over 6 years. It's basically a swamp. I am planning on having the liner and pump all replaced next spring and have gotten estimates. I was wondering if there would be any harm in fully draining the pool now. I've been told it has concrete walls. I live in Rhode Island and am located in the top of a hill, with lots of bedrock surround the area. Should it be fine to drain and leave empty, possibly even remove the old liner until next year or should I leave it until then? Thanks in advance.

I am still a noob at pools but so far from what I have read around don't drain your pool empty especially for a long period of time. Leaving it empty causes the walls and other foundational things to weaken. You may want to drain it halfway and perhaps add some fresh water back to somewhat help the chemistry. I'd expect that water to have very low ph which is bad for the pool and its plumbing. When you're ready for the large project let the contractor/company fully drain it and begin work. Other experts around here might have better suggestion than my 2c. good luck!

Hey J !! With concrete walls, they won’t collapse in on themselves like a steel pool might. It’s literally exactly like a house foundation and it can withstand the elements forever.

BUT. (huge BUT). Your house foundation doesn’t have a deep end that goes 4 ft below it. If the deep end which is either sand or Vermiculite was to erode with a good storm (or many) Then the wall(s) could settle and sink.

If you don't plan to use the pool this year I would just leave it as is. Its been this way 6 years, what's one more? Even in a concrete pool, the water provides a lot of structural support. The ground is going to push in on the pool walls. Without water there is no force to counteract it and the walls could start to collapse. Pools are not designed to be empty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.