Pool surge protection

artd

Jun 7, 2008
new jersey
Looking for advice on a bit of an issue I am having. It seems almost after every significant rain storm by pump gets shut down with a error code of a surge on my Hayward variable Tristar. It takes a few things to get it back in operating mode most often it involves shutting breakers on and on a time or two.

I do have a breaker clip that caused a mis-aligned breaker (although still functional) and wondering if this could cause the problem as it just started last season. Regardless, I will fix the breaker and would also like to get surge protection, specifically a HEPD80, installed on my outside pool box should it work/fit on this box (any advice on that appreciated)

Any other ideas on what is causing this last season...I do think there may be a correlation to the loose breaker and the error.Thanks

Attachments

• 20190324_143550.jpg
    20190324_143550.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 46
Get the breaker swapped asap. The vsp pumps are very fragile with voltage spikes and fluctuations. They fry pretty easily with lightning etc. Wouldnt hurt to ahit down power and check the control board under the cover see if you have corrosion or moisture in there

Reactions: artd
What's the inside of your panel look like ?
If you have aluminum bas bars instead of copper, they can sometimes pit, thus not making a good connection to your breakers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.