Pool 'suction side cleaner' getting physically stuck on main drain

gregch

Silver Supporter
Per my other thread, we just had our liner replaced which also meant new faceplates and fittings including a new main drain of a different design to the old one. Apparently they now need to be "anti vortex". Anyway, we have a Zodiac Barracuda Super G "robot" vacuum cleaner (plugs into the skimmer line) which previously worked absolutely fine.

Since the new liner (and more pertinently the new main drain), it gets stuck on the drain cover. And I mean physically stuck - it's not suction from the main drain (that line is shut off when using the "robot", and the thing remains stuck fast with the pump shut off).

It turns out that the "tendrils" (for want of a better word!) of the robot are getting stuck - wedged - in the 'slots' of the drain cover. Has anyone else come across this problem? Is there a solution (other than I guess manual vacuuming only from here on in!)

Attachments

• 2791_Super-G-p_2.png
    2791_Super-G-p_2.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2791-263-thickbox.jpg
    2791-263-thickbox.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4729.jpeg
    IMG_4729.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
Get a robot cleaner from Marina Pool and Spa in Lakewood CO.

Ah, but we're in the UK, so might be shipping issues - otherwise I would definitely go that route, seems like a great store with a massive range of options.

It seems the Maytronics/Dolphin models (which seem highly regarded on TFP) are available from retailers here, but my goodness it's bewildering all the different models and price points. I see there's a couple of threads on here already on that subject, so I'll take a read through them again.

I would want it to clean both floor and walls, the pool is only 28' long and is a hopper shape with a vinyl liner. Would be a nice option to be able to have a fine filter to pick up sand etc if possible. Even then it seems there's a handful of different models to choose from - including ones branded "PoolStyle" that seem a little cheaper, and the cooler-looking SX20, and the supposedly basic but more expensive E10. And the price points seem to range from about GBP 500 to GBP 2,000... If anyone has a favourite one they'd recommend, that would be great!

Incidentally, I saw the SMOROBOT cordless earlier and decided that was the pool robot for me, but sadly it seems that's one we can't buy here.

Not sure there is anything much you can do with that. I know others have suggested a robot, and while they are good, I am happy with my 400 dollar MX8 elite suction cleaner as well. It gets stuck in the one corner by my stairs once in a while but other than that I'm happy with it. The parts to fix/rebuild are cheap. My old robot cleaner that came with the house needed to be fixed a few times for a few hundred dollars then finally it needed a 600 dollar computer/motor assembly so I sold it for parts. I considered doing it myself for cheaper but I would have had to buy a special tool and some scan tool type thing.

Yeah I think the Barracuda suction cleaner is just basically incompatible with the new anti-vortex main drain cover - the cleaner's rubber fingers will keep jamming themselves into the drain cover's raised slots and then it requires a bit of diving into the pool to free it, which a) gets old fast and b) could end up damaging the drain cover.

Added to which, we only have one skimmer port, so when the Barracuda's in there the skimmer isn't working. So although it's always done a great job of cleaning the pool, it takes a few hours during which some new leaves and bugs etc have inevitably blown in and not been skimmed.

So I think it's maybe time to consider an electric robot cleaner to replace it - but the array of options is just bewildering, and they're really expensive!

1. make a weighted ring to surround the drain cover using noodles and lead weights?
2. weigh down a frisbee to cover the drain? could crack the main drain valve open slightly for some suction to help hold it in place.

obviously only while vacuuming.

i know, not very good ideas, but maybe get you thinking.

Reactions: HermanTX
Yeah I think the Barracuda suction cleaner is just basically incompatible with the new anti-vortex main drain cover - the cleaner's rubber fingers will keep jamming themselves into the drain cover's raised slots and then it requires a bit of diving into the pool to free it, which a) gets old fast and b) could end up damaging the drain cover.

Added to which, we only have one skimmer port, so when the Barracuda's in there the skimmer isn't working. So although it's always done a great job of cleaning the pool, it takes a few hours during which some new leaves and bugs etc have inevitably blown in and not been skimmed.

So I think it's maybe time to consider an electric robot cleaner to replace it - but the array of options is just bewildering, and they're really expensive!
If you don’t have a dedicated port then I would seriously consider a robot. There’s no point in tying up the only skimmer you have.

Thanks folks. I guess it makes sense to go with a robot, though I'm aware there's been some issues raised on here about durability, and it's a lot of money... still, seems the least bad option for my situation. (I'm also looking to replace the pump and filter, and would love to install some kind of heating, so it might be a case of whether we have any money left for a fancy robot!).

If we do get a robot, I've seen a few on sale here in the UK and it would be great to get some guidance...

Most importantly - our pool is a hopper shape with a vinyl liner. Can most robots cope with a hopper-shape pool?

There are various Dolphin models, some are way too expensive but was looking at:

E10 (seems to only clean the floor, and specifies 'flat floor' so I guess not sloped or hopper)
SX10 (can't see any difference from E10, but different colour scheme and less expensive)
SX20 (does floor and walls, couldn't tell me whether it can do hopper shape)
PoolStyle (seems same as E10/SX10)
PoolStyle Plus (seems the same at SX20, but cheaper)
PoolStyle Advanced (also does waterline, but not much different in price to the 'Plus')

Anyone have any experience of those?

Last issue on the subject - love the idea of the SMOROBOT (they won't sell me one in the UK though) and there don't seem too many other choices for a cordless rechargeable option... but I wonder if they will soon become the norm and maybe I should hold off investing in a corded robot until those hit the market??

Thanks again for everyone's help on this and all my other issues (the pool-related ones, at least)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.