Pool store recommending pH minus and Stabilizer

Because the average pool owner is not going to drop $1500 on a test rig. And because pool stores are notorious for not properly training their minimum-wage or thereabouts employees. And even if they do, how often do you think they calibrate their equipment?

Last edited:
Ha.. I would agree. The NSF is a reputable organization. In fact most in not all municipal watersheds are testing our drinking water using equipment that is NSF certified. This is not science? Do you think they are using drop tests?

Not trying to argue for the sake of arguing. Maybe more of a healthy debate? these digital testing devices have gone through the same testing and certification process that the Taylor drop test kit has. In fact, the science behind it says they are certified to read CYA(and other parameters) to L1 which is higher than what Taylor provides.

What am I missing? Is it the pool store person administering the test? Is this the issue? Let’s assume they know what they are doing. If the NSF has certified the Lamotte for L1 accuracy and the Taylor drop test for L2 is that enough science?

The aquarium industry is a great example of a multi billion dollar industry embracing digital testing. Many reef keeping hobbyist have gone digital years ago. They are relying on digital test kits from Industrial systems and Lamotte to maintain parameters that require a smaller margin of error than pool parameters. Quite honestly, I was very surprised to hear the pool industry was still stuck on drop test. But then I realized it’s not the entire pool industry. It’s really just at TFP. Yes, drop tests work ok. I still use them. But so does consumer grade digital testing equipment There has to be a reason why TFP is stuck recommending drop tests??

getting ready for my beat down in 3..2..1..😆
No beat down. 😁 but take the same water sample to 3 different stores and get it tested, and also test with the Taylor kit. See how close the results are, or are not.

Nobody is arguing that such equipment doesn't exist, or that it's not very accurate when used properly and calibrated.. I myself would LOVE to acquire one .. but I am sure I would HATE the subsequent divorce!

Just saw another post in another thread where the CYA result came back "5". How interesting.... like "5" is machine talk for "I dunno". In labs they normally refer to this as "too few to count" or "too numerous to count".

Yet the pool store is saying "5" and they tell you to buy some CYA. When in truth when you get your own kit it reads 90ppm or something.

Maddie 🇧🇩 <--big juicy olive

test kit.jpeg

This is my test kit.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My test kit is my best friend.
It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my test kit is useless.
Without my test kit, I am useless.
I must use my test kit true.
I must chlorinate faster than my enemy who is trying to turn my pool green can reproduce.
I must kill him before he kills my pool.
I will ...

Last edited:
Just saw another post in another thread where the CYA result came back "5". How interesting.... like "5" is machine talk for "I dunno". In labs they normally refer to this as "too few to count" or "too numerous to count".

Yet the pool store is saying "94B4E69D-52D5-4606-B8D6-27F5B7142CD8.png5" and they tell you to buy some CYA. When in truth when you get your own kit it reads 90ppm or something.

An NSF L1 rating measures from 5-50ppm as shown on NSF’s site. I would think It’s not unreasonable to conclude the sample has 0 CYA.

Reactions: BassPlayingDude

Yet the pool store is saying "5" and they tell you to buy some CYA. When in truth when you get your own kit it reads 90ppm or something.

Swiggety swolive... I'm comin for dat olive!

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
No beat down. 😁 but take the same water sample to 3 different stores and get it tested, and also test with the Taylor kit. See how close the results are, or are not.
agreed. It’s important to understand how the testing process works. I have 2 leslie’s within 3 miles of me. I went to both and decided to frequent the one Where the manager had some knowledge. There have been times when the results come back different than I expected. I just ask them to run the test again and they have been very accommodating. Once in a while I’ll throw’em a bone and buy a brush, or skimmer socks, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok.. I'll take the first volley...
How much do they cost? At TFP we want everyone to test their own water... and we are asking them to plop down 100 clams to buy a TF100 or equivalent. Can one of these gizmos be found a garage sale for that price... I THINK NOT!... And we would ALL have to have one so we can be on the same platform for discussing results..

I'll let the other hit you with another pillow
Big Brother Pillow Fight GIF by Big Brother After Dark
Lol that’s funny. Wait, I see a few cans of cola in one of those pillows!

I use an exact iDip. Cost me $230. Works extremely well. NSF L1 for FC and Ph and L2 for CYA and CC

comes with test strips and costs around 15$ for an additional 100 FC to give you an idea of what to expect when you have to refill.

the Spintouch is $800. Each test disk is 1$. But I could care less because Leslie is paying for it..;)

So, you just said you've gone to 3 Leslies and their testing all varies.. They vary just as much WITHIN a Leslies. The protocols they follow give me the shivers.. regardless of how they come to their conclusions. My local mom and pop pool store uses sticks.. I used to use Runes and Tarot cards.. they were about as accurate.

I worked in a Limnology lab in the off shore colonies just east of the bowels of Venezuela.. We had everything, we tested for nitrates, nitrites, DOC, DIC, tracked carbon primary production with radio active carbon, we had GC's, titraion columns, measured phytoplankton, zooplankton populations and all for WHAT! To find out the cockroaches ruined your sample? The iguanas pooped in your beaker! ... HEY! this is just a pool! Its not rocket science.. nor is it jungle Limnology.. Do your own testing and be consistent. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
So, you just said you've gone to 3 Leslies and their testing all varies.. They vary just as much WITHIN a Leslies. The protocols they follow give me the shivers.. regardless of how they come to their conclusions. My local mom and pop pool store uses sticks.. I used to use Runes and Tarot cards.. they were about as accurate.

I worked in a Limnology lab in the off shore colonies just east of the bowels of Venezuela.. We had everything, we tested for nitrates, nitrites, DOC, DIC, tracked carbon primary production with radio active carbon, we had GC's, titraion columns, measured phytoplankton, zooplankton populations and all for WHAT! To find out the cockroaches ruined your sample? The iguanas pooped in your beaker! ... HEY! this is just a pool! Its not rocket science.. or jungle Limnology.. Do your own testing and be consistent. You'll be fine.
I do my own testing. when you spend a large amount $$ on a pool sometimes it’s worth getting a second opinion on test results. ;)

Lol that’s funny. Wait, I see a few cans of cola in one of those pillows!

I use an exact iDip. Cost me $230. Works extremely well. NSF L1 for FC and Ph and L2 for CYA and CC

comes with test strips and costs around 15$ for an additional 100 FC to give you an idea of what to expect when you have to refill.

the Spintouch is $800. Each test disk is 1$. But I could care less because Leslie is paying for it..;)
If I can get a good digitizer that cheap, I might have to pull the trigger.

If I can get a good digitizer that cheap, I might have to pull the trigger.
So 'Dude.. this may be your chance to leverage that motor cycle you always wanted that your wife nixed.. You come home with a $1500 Lamote Sit and Spin.. tell her its an espresso machine for the pool.. when she says no, then pivot to that crotch rocket you've had your eyes on!
(I made all this up for the drama of the scene) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I don't ride... However, I applaud the Pennsylvania "helmet optional" laws so that there is a ready supply of livers, kidneys, corneas, lungs and hearts available when needed ... If you don't want to use them responsibly, I would be happy to take them off your hands...

Reactions: Newdude
:eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek: Don't use glass by the pool. Glass and water have about the same index of refraction.. so if you broke it near the pool and it got in the water the only way to find it is in your foot.

Personally I dispense directly from the jug to cut down on the number of transfers from one container to another. I measured out how much 1 quart, 1 pint. 1cup is with an empty jug and now I jut put tick marks on the out side of the jug. I pour to the mark and the old mark becomes the new starting point for the next time.
My ph method is “ it’s a little high” Poor some in from gallon then retest in a couple days. Imho PH is a range and if you try for 7.200000 all the tine you will go crazy 😛

Reactions: BassPlayingDude
View attachment 339578

This is my test kit.
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My test kit is my best friend.
It is my life.
I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my test kit is useless.
Without my test kit, I am useless.
I must use my test kit true.
I must chlorinate faster than my enemy who is trying to turn my pool green can reproduce.
I must kill him before he kills my pool.
I will ...
A quote from the new movie "Full Gunite Jacket" ......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.