Pool store prefers NOT to sell me a SWG!

Poolweekender

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, New York
Hi all,
This is my first TFP season and has been great, liquid chlorine only, haven't needed anything else, my pool is sparkling, thanks to all who help here.

I told the owner of the pool company who installed my pool years ago that I want to put in a SWG at the beginning of next season.
He told me that he absolutely does not recommend this for an AG, and even does not recommend it for an IG :confused: -- he said there are numerous issues with the units, they are always giving error codes, warnings, etc. I know that they use Aquacal units exclusively.

I have to assume the company would rather sell chlorine each season then deal with any issues with a SWG.

At this point I'm not excited about installing this myself, so I'll look for another installer.

I would welcome any comments. I assume that most comments will be to get an SWG! I am a weekender so the SWG would be much more convenient, especially if I miss a weekend.

Thanks...

I had the exact same experience, and with a pool store here that has a very good reputation. They are happy that I use the TFP method, just coming in to buy liquid chlorine and acid. When I told them I was thinking about a switch to salt, and asked them for a price on a salt unit, they told me that salt units dont work in Tucson. They then quoted me $1900 for a Hayward T-15 unit (that didn't even include installation)

It was clear they were happy to sell me chlorine liquid, but not so happy about losing that weekly sale.

I should edit my post with the final outcome... I purchased a used hayward SWG controller on craigslist for $50, and an aftermarket salt cell from a reputable online vendor for $300. I'm handy, so I installed it myself. It's been running for the past 6 weeks in 110* heat at 70% in a 21k pool.
-J

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.