Glen Carbon IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This has been covered many times on this forum I see, but I thought I should share my recent experience.

I tend to get a lot of calls from customers stating that their pool seems to have issues of some sort, yet the pool store testing tells a different story. In a most recent call about a pool heater, I discovered that the heat exchange was trashed after a year and a half. Prior to my arrival, this customer repeatedly called about a leak at their heater to the installer. Having had his water tested by this store, and being told that his chemistry was good, the service tech would come out and tell him that his heater was broken due to poor chemistry. Keep in mind this is the same store that is testing his water, installed the heater, checking on the leaks, and providing contrary statements.

When I arrived, the first thing I did was a chemistry test. I found his pH and alkalinity values to be the lowest I have ever tested, CYA the highest ever tested (tablets). Complete drain and refill. The pool owner balked on this idea for about 2 weeks, until the dye in his liner began to be leached into the water, also staining anything white.. and his liner is just as old as the heater, about a year and a half. I only hope the issues stop there.

Summary.. learn to test and balance your own water with quality products and save yourself $$$$$$.

Before I got comfortable doing my own testing with my then new to me TF100 I'd go to the pool store to double check. What I always found amazing was when without any additions or rain one day my stabilizer was fine and the next day I was told it was too low, by a lot. One day apart, nothing done to the chemistry. Made me believe the horror stories I read on here about being "pool stored" with chemicals just for their sales numbers and not for my waters quality.

full

Before I got comfortable doing my own testing with my then new to me TF100 I'd go to the pool store to double check. What I always found amazing was when without any additions or rain one day my stabilizer was fine and the next day I was told it was too low, by a lot. One day apart, nothing done to the chemistry. Made me believe the horror stories I read on here about being "pool stored" with chemicals just for their sales numbers and not for my waters quality.

Yeah, when I walk in a store and see a teenager working the test site, I smh

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.