Pool still not ready

Lorelai

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Hulmeville, PA
Hi everyone. Not new put didn't open our pool last year might have even been for two years. It was really bad opening this year. The water was very dark. It has been weeks and still not clear. Another factor for this pool is that our neighbor's tree hangs over it.

Pool numbers-taken today.
PH: 7.3
FC: 10.5
CC: 1
TA: 90
CH: 100
CYA: barely 30

There appears to be a lot of dirt in the pool. So we are running the filter 24/7. We always keep our filter on anyway so this is not new.

Should I raise my CYA a bit more? So far I have put in 8 pounds of stabilizer. First, I put in 4 pounds of stabilizer. When I tested, I could still see the black dot so I added another 4 pounds then another 2 pounds. I tested again and it is cloudy at 30. I was a bit worried but then I remembered that we have backwashed a lot so that would account for the low CYA number.

Should I lower my TA to 60 and then shock or shock first?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Right now nothing is as important as maintaining the FC level of 12 with liquid chlorine or regular bleach. The powdered stuff isn't going to cut it. You need a good amount of liquid and need to be consistent to maintain the SLAM level. Have you considered changing out about half of the water to help get ahead of this issue? Half would leave enough to keep the shell and liner in place, but might get rid of some of the junk in the water and expedite the SLAM Process. That SLAM Process page is key. Regardless of your final decision to change water, yes, you want to have a CYA of at least 30.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.