Pool Steps

SwimmingBevo

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Austin, Texas
OK, I have a thread under new build in Austin but wanted to start this on stairs as it's our last major problem solve.

This pool is 4' 6" throughout. Originally the steps as you can see were set to come off the tanning ledge. The people tanning have asked if we can move those. At 4.5 feet of depth we would need at least five steps correct? Also, these would be very wide and go pretty far into the pool to hit 4.5 feet.

Does anyone see another good option for stair location and design? To the left of the tanning ledge is what we are thinking but maybe not as wide as that whole bump out since the stairs will go out into the pool almost seven feet if our math is correct.

Any thouights would be great. Thanks!

PoolSteps.jpg
F0818616-8BE6-4BB0-AB69-83DE1BE9E61F.jpg
0C629F13-AAC5-4C8E-B8AA-2467074341A2.jpg

I like the second one with the corner steps, but I also like the extended ledge on the first one. I'd blend the corner steps with the ledge extending across to facilitate getting onto/off of the baja step.

The third option takes too much space away from the ledge IMO.

Okay, BAD paintshop but I hope it shows what I am talking about............have the steps follow the wall to the left of the tanning ledge. Keep the ledge a solid block. This will keep the most pool space of all of them. I did the first pick in black. The second pick/idea is done in red. Not as happy with this placement but kind of like how it is by the spa but not ideal.

steps.jpeg

Of your steps I like the second set the best. Look very neat!

Kim:kim:

I looked at doing the 3rd option you posted when I built our baja step. The guy doing most of the work (rebar, gunite, etc) said he would recommend against that because of a tripping hazard for our kids, but I'm sure it could be potentially for anyone. His opinion was with the kids running around, if they fell coming from the side, they would fall head first into the deck. I have other clumsy family members that this same thing could apply to so we decided against it.

I like Kim's mock-up too as they are closer to where everyone will probably be hanging out so they don't have to walk as far to get in. The only thing I would do is turn the steps so you don't have to walk in front of the hot tub to get to them. Have them sitting parallel to the ledge in front of hot tub, does that make sense?

I like Kim's mock-up too as they are closer to where everyone will probably be hanging out so they don't have to walk as far to get in. The only thing I would do is turn the steps so you don't have to walk in front of the hot tub to get to them. Have them sitting parallel to the ledge in front of hot tub, does that make sense?

This would be the perfect solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I personally would move the hot tub to the far left corner (water feature into pool) with the sun shelf and widen the pool as a result and still open up the space for decking looks crowded by the kitchen

Here is my suggestion.
E37BBAD9-E88A-4FD5-99DC-855060F92E79.jpeg
Although I do like Agd38's suggestion of moving the hot tub to the left hand corner. Maybe then slide the stairs and sun shelf from my dwg all the way over to the right and open up some decking around the kitchen. This would also allow you to easily extend the roof or build a pergola over the hot tub in the future if desired. Unless of course you are married to the 50ft of swimming lanes, which is pretty kick-butt in itself. Are you backed-up to a golf course by chance?

Here is my suggestion.
View attachment 76006
Although I do like Agd38's suggestion of moving the hot tub to the left hand corner. Maybe then slide the stairs and sun shelf from my dwg all the way over to the right and open up some decking around the kitchen. This would also allow you to easily extend the roof or build a pergola over the hot tub in the future if desired. Unless of course you are married to the 50ft of swimming lanes, which is pretty kick-butt in itself. Are you backed-up to a golf course by chance?

Interesting suggestions...thank you. I will review with pool builder. No, don’t back up to a golf course...nice wooded lot with no views of neighboring houses.

the pic above me with steps in front of steps is the way to go. Just make sure to put the handrail on the tanning ledge side as a safety buffer for kids coming off there it WILL be a play area esp for little ones. otherwise the wedding style stairs in first set of pics is nice but HARD to do a nice handrail for those right

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.