Lamby2244

Jul 12, 2021
Kent England
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I am pretty new to all this only having had my pool for a year. I noticed some staining on my liner and it has got worse - I have read all about stains and them being organic or inorganic but nothing I try shifts this.... I am wondering if someone can help me through a process of working it out.

One idea is that the bark compost we added to the garden got blown about and in the pool before it settled and cause something - I am only wondering that because the timing of the events was aligned.

I have added a photo.

Thanks for any advice - I am guessing my first education is into pool chemistry - so a secondary point is to find somewhere I can learn the basics....?

I know there is a LOT to learn so be gentle with me ;)

Cheers

Simon

Attachments

• 68062443838__FCB55FCE-8CE1-405A-91C8-98506C2B0AE2.jpeg
    68062443838__FCB55FCE-8CE1-405A-91C8-98506C2B0AE2.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Looks more like iron stains. Have you tried to put a paste of Vitamin C in a sock and rub it around the stain?

Looks more like iron stains. Have you tried to put a paste of Vitamin C in a sock and rub it around the stain?

That may be one of the only things I have not tried. Will do that tomorrow thanks!

Turns out Bit C did not work - now I am lost!!

Longshot here — I don’t have vinyl liner, but professor google says calcium scale can form on vinyl liner. There’s a thing called “dirt scale” that forms at certain places in my waterline, looks very similar to what you have there, right where the direct afternoon sun bakes the water and waterline and forms localized scale. The calcium scale either mixes with or forms over a little dirt and it looks like a stain more than scale. Removal attempt to try might include whatever is done for scale on vinyl liner (I don’t know what that is though).

Removal attempt to try might include whatever is done for scale on vinyl liner (I don’t know what that is though).

Try a weak solution of muriatic acid 10% - 25% acid to water and scrub an area.

Reactions: SoDel
Longshot here — I don’t have vinyl liner, but professor google says calcium scale can form on vinyl liner. There’s a thing called “dirt scale” that forms at certain places in my waterline, looks very similar to what you have there, right where the direct afternoon sun bakes the water and waterline and forms localized scale. The calcium scale either mixes with or forms over a little dirt and it looks like a stain more than scale. Removal attempt to try might include whatever is done for scale on vinyl liner (I don’t know what that is though).
Now what makes sense here is that it is only on the side that gets most sun SW facing side… let me look into this.

Posting current test results will get us all on the same page. Otherwise, everyone is simply guessing.

Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School. That's where you should start. Get your chemistry right and then work on the stains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.