Pool spa combo

novotny3

Oct 14, 2021
Tucson Arizona
I am having my spill over spa filled in ,an the pool had been replastered. When the plumber came back and turn on the equipment the spa filled with water. I guess the pool an spa return lines are connected. Anyone know where the second return line is usually located I am currently digging out the chip out from the pool that’s in the spa. Looked through all my pictures and never from the other angle

Attachments

• E632D9F1-528C-411A-8D21-0AE9C5D8167E.jpeg
    E632D9F1-528C-411A-8D21-0AE9C5D8167E.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 55BA742F-ED0E-45CE-A5DC-4174EE41BC0A.jpeg
    55BA742F-ED0E-45CE-A5DC-4174EE41BC0A.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 33
N,

That does not look like a spillover spa to me.. :scratch: Where does/did the water spillover into the pool?

We need to see pics of your equipment pad so we can figure out how your system is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

N,

That does not look like a spillover spa to me.. :scratch: Where does/did the water spillover into the pool?

We need to see pics of your equipment pad so we can figure out how your system is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim , here is a photo of where it did spill over before the fill over was filled and new tile . Also a picture of the spa where I’m trying to dig it out to plug the second return..
N,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi jim. Here are a couple of photos of what everything looks like currently and where the spa did spill over before the filllwd it and tiles it on the pool side. FDB4345F-946A-43CE-9B2C-9DD090D4D080.jpegFCE5BD86-AF57-4536-A0E1-57F4A2FE17BA.jpeg0CAAE5F2-EFC7-427D-B37D-6991C94C0D70.jpeg0BEA8BA7-D9DA-4388-BC54-3FF0A94A1EE5.jpeg

N,

Well, it looks to me like you have capped off the spa drain at the equipment pad, as well as the Spa jets.. If there was a make-up line to force an overflow into the pool, it looks capped off also.

I assume the only return line that is in the pic is going to the pool returns?.. If that is true, then no water should be entering the spa..

It is possible that the pool return line is connected under ground to the spa, but that would not be the normal way to do it.

Like you, I would not expect any water to be entering the spa.

Let's see if @JamesW has any ideas...

Do you have any "before" pics of your equipment pad?

Another thought... Did this spa ever have a heater? Was it just a cold water spa? If so it just may have a short pipe directly between the spa and the pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

N,

Well, it looks to me like you have capped off the spa drain at the equipment pad, as well as the Spa jets.. If there was a make-up line to force an overflow into the pool, it looks capped off also.

I assume the only return line that is in the pic is going to the pool returns?.. If that is true, then no water should be entering the spa..

It is possible that the pool return line is connected under ground to the spa, but that would not be the normal way to do it.

Like you, I would not expect any water to be entering the spa.

Let's see if @JamesW has any ideas...

Do you have any "before" pics of your equipment pad?

Another thought... Did this spa ever have a heater? Was it just a cold water spa? If so it just may have a short pipe directly between the spa and the pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.
It did not have a heater on it that is known of I am the 3rd owner. Here is the before picture. The plugged pipe is believed to be the old pool whips. They are plastered over know. D16B0737-4B6A-42DD-A4B8-217DEBBA3D93.jpeg

N,

I assume you have normal pool returns with eyeballs in the pool and that they work as they should..???

If that is true, I don't understand why any water is getting into your spa... :scratch:

I don't see any option but to remove all the fill from the spa and see what you have..

I don't see anything obvious wrong.. If this were a cold spa, I would have thought it would fill from a short pipe between the pool and the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect that the three lines (red dots) to the left of the three-way valve all go to the spa and the line to the right (blue dot) goes to the pool.

It looks like all water is going to the spa and none to the pool.

Are you getting water from the pool returns?

1636593875332.png
1636593995038.png

I suspect that the three lines (red dots) to the left of the three-way valve all go to the spa

James,

That was my initial thought also, but I decided that the "Spa Bypass" valve was the water that should cause the spillover in the pool mode.. I "assumed" that if the pool returns were not working that would be pretty obvious, and that the pump would have no place for the water to go as everything in the spa has been capped off...

But then again, I have been wrong several times in the last few minutes... :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking at this one..

Jim R.

N,

I assume you have normal pool returns with eyeballs in the pool and that they work as they should..???

If that is true, I don't understand why any water is getting into your spa... :scratch:

I don't see any option but to remove all the fill from the spa and see what you have..

I don't see anything obvious wrong.. If this were a cold spa, I would have thought it would fill from a short pipe between the pool and the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pool returns work perfect.. thank you so much for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whoever did the plumbing should have used air or water to verify the function of each pipe before they replumbed everything.
I sure wish they had. I was out of town the week they did the plumbing. He came back when the pool was full and that’s when the issues all came up when he started it all up. He said he just went off what the pipes where marked. I said I have no idea who even marked them and if they where even correct why did you not check! It’s been a bit crazy here to even get anyone out for the plumbing two guys never showed and others would not come out unless they had the entire job on the pool..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.