Pool/Solar Cover for Intex 10' x 30" Metal Frame - Yay or Nay?

puly

May 22, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Howdy,
I’m in North Texas (Dallas) and just got an AGP Intex 10’ x 30” Metal Frame (which I still need to install).
I was wondering if a pool cover makes sense (could be a solar cover/blanket too).
I’ve been reading some threads here, watched some videos and also found this article: The Pros and Cons of Swimming Pool Covers | Pooled Energy.

I believe the pool will be disassembled during fall/winter in order to preserve it better.
So during the summer/spring…does it make sense to use a pool cover.
I have direct sunrays on the pool for approximately 8 hours per day. And I guess the pool will be used for 1-2 hours almost every day.
Furthermore, I’m not concerned with leaves/dirt/debris (I shouldn’t have any of these).

The two benefits I’m interested in are:
  • Reduced consumption of chlorine
  • Reduced evaporation
How much would a pool cover actually help with these two? (for example: https://www.intexcorp.com/products/...ies/pool-covers/10ft-x-10in-round-pool-cover/)
Would a solar cover be much better? (https://www.intexcorp.com/products/above-ground-pools/pool-accessories/pool-covers/10ft-solar-cover/)

Any personal experience with the above?
If keeping a cover on means I can skip the bleach for 1-3 days, then I'm getting one.

Would love to hear your comments.
Thank you!

It will reduce evaporation. It might reduce chlorine use but one should test often.

It will make the pool water really warm. Since over night evaporation is what cools off the water. How warm do you like the pool?

If left off at night that will help. The cover during the day will warm the water some. I doubt you will ever have cold water in Texas during the summer ---------- unless you put a block of ice in the pool each day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.