Pool size dilemma-decision on Thursday

Jnalbach1217

May 18, 2020
NJ
I am signing with my builder for a vinyl pool this week. It is an 18 by 38 with 8ft deep end. I am debating if it is a big difference in the size if I jumped up to 20 by 40. My yard is about a half acre. It is an oasis style pool by cardinal with saltwater system. Also if I went bigger is it that much more to heat and maintain? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP.

28,000 gallons vs 33,000 gallons. 20% more to heat and maintain.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the maintain part, once your @28 the 32 won't change things too much. The heat is the problem the way i see it. If you have a auto cover then you can retain heat and reduce maintenance too.

Depends how you intend to use the pool. Also depends what the pool design is and how much space you take up with stairs, and ledges, and tables, and other stuff people build into their pool to do everything but swim.

We have an 18x36 rectangle (installed last fall). To do it again, I would have gone 20x40 for sure. We have the yard and space for it - so I wish we went bigger.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If lived in a climate that is more forgiving temperature wise I would consider free form but if you intend to heat and still be somewhat cost efficient having a pool cover to save the heat you just paid for then free form would be out of the question unless the wallet can do whatever it takes.

In the next 4 months, construction will begin on our new house and pool. In my experience, I considered an 18x36 with 8ft deep end because we would save a few thousand dollars but decided on a 20x40 rectangle with 9ft deep end with automatic cover bc our 8 acres is in the country and I don’t want wildlife dying in my pool lol. Yes it’s a little more in price but really when you break down cost, payment doesn’t go up as much as you think ( if you are financing) it’s such a huge investment that you don’t want to have regrets about size. You can always spray the dimensions in yard and see how you feel About the size. We did forego heater bc it can be added on later on. I think it all depends on your climate. Where I live it is usually 90 degrees till October. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Are you a swimmer? Someone who has always loved being in the water, being underwater? In that case go big as you can afford (initial cost, heat, chems) I went 20 x 40, really wish I'd done 30× 50, 5 year old grandson and I are swimmers, and mine seemed small from day 1. If you just want to stand around drinking cocktails, you're fine.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Oh man, I can hear the splashing already! Looking good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.