Pool Size.... 30'x60' too big? Other questions as well.

Planning stage, decided on an inground liner pool. We have a decent size family, 4 sons, two are married, three grankids so far. I'm thinking 30'x60' with a tanning ledge at th shallow end and steps on both sides of the shallow end....maybe seats in the sides of the deep end, or corners of the deep end.

Still wondering about decking. Thinking stained concrete, 12 to 16 feet out from the pool edge. Steel fencing around the outside perimeter of the decking.

SWG with large cartridge filter

That would be one big honkin' pool! Close to 54,000 gallons by my estimation. Would take two of the largest SWG's to manage it.

You sure you need it *that* big?

We're in, if you decide to do it! We'd love to ride along and see pics of the build as it progressed.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: stack_climber
That would be one big honkin' pool! Close to 54,000 gallons by my estimation. Would take two of the largest SWG's to manage it.

You sure you need it *that* big?

We're in, if you decide to do it! We'd love to ride along and see pics of the build as it progressed.

Ha! No, I'm not sure.... my wife agrees with you, she says I tend to overbuild everything. I might could compromise with a 20'x40'.

Oh yeahhhhh.... more along the lines of a 20,000 gallon pool. Decent size :)

Do a deep end!! Kids love to dive and challenge each other to races. (my personal angst cause my pool is too shallow for diving, sob!)

Where are you located, by the way? Please add that to your info on the left. It helps us out to know your climate, etc.

I would say 20x40 is more common so a "comprise" would be closer to 25x45.. :)

On a serious note. I ended up at 38' long and would not give up my 8' deep diving end for anything but would have really liked to have ended up with more shallow end play area. Vollyball is very tight...

I would say 20x40 is more common so a "comprise" would be closer to 25x45.. :)

On a serious note. I ended up at 38' long and would not give up my 8' deep diving end for anything but would have really liked to have ended up with more shallow end play area. Vollyball is very tight...

I'm in south Arkansas, about one mile from the AR/LA line.

What about an L with a 20x30 shallow end and a 20x20 deep end?

Keep the rectangle and add an auto cover. 30 x 60 is huge 22 x 44 isn't too bad. We have built several 20 x 50 and 24 x 50 those work good for volleyball pools. Usually with a 50 we build them with a shallow area then step down to an area that is about shoulder deep then transition to the diving well

Keep the rectangle and add an auto cover. 30 x 60 is huge 22 x 44 isn't too bad. We have built several 20 x 50 and 24 x 50 those work good for volleyball pools. Usually with a 50 we build them with a shallow area then step down to an area that is about shoulder deep then transition to the diving well

Am I correct that the deep end has to be 24ft from the back wall to the start of the transition? If so, would a 20x50 be good, that would still give us about equal space in both the deep and shallow ends. Is minimum 3ft at shallow end sloping to 5ft ar beginning of transition a good slope. In the 50ft pool that would be 2ft gradual slope over 26ft, then transition to 8 or 9 ft. deep end.

We're a short family, all of us, avg adult height 5'7

Usually we have 6' flat at 40" coming out from the steps, acrylic over fiberglass outside of the wall(not taking away from swim area). Then a 2' transition to 4' 6" or 5' depending on homeowners height. Then going at that depth until it meets the transition from the diving well. It ends up giving a little over half the length in playable water depth

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool is 45 feet long and it feels plenty big when we are in it. We've had about 30 adults and kids in it at once with room to spare (granted some were sitting on the wide steps and others on the bench in the deep end.) Go measure hotel pools or pools your contractor has done to get a better feel for size. We outlined the pool in our yard before deciding and used towels to act as floats to get a feel for size, too. 60 feet is enormous!

Ours is 18x40, which feels big to me. My neighbor just built a 20x50 and it's huge! But if you have space for it, do it! I'd have loved an L-shape, but I wanted an autocover.

One TFP member built a 25m pool in his backyard. Here it is -- New Build in West Houston Area - PB

One more comment --- definitely go with the bench/corner swim-outs in the deep end! We put in corner swim-outs in the deep end, and it really changes the way the pool gets used. We love them! I'd never been in a pool with them before ours.

I am a huge proponent of the “bigger is better” ideology. Except when it comes to pools. :)
Not sure how much pool heating you need to do in your climate but your pockets better be deep to heat 50000 gallons. I can tell you with certainty, most middle class people like me and my family could never afford to heat a pool that size. I for one, would rather have a smaller pool that we could afford to heat to a comfortable level and in turn, use more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.