Pool Screen Cage

Jul 5, 2015
Davie, FL
Hi All,

I'm down in S. Florida and suffered some pool enclosure damage during Hurricane Irma. Our pool is screened in by one of those big-domed, pool cages. We didn't put it in originally, but I believe it is around 10 years old. Many of the fasteners are rusted or are missing, the finish is faded and even missing color in some areas, and now about half of the screen panels are missing or damaged. My better half despises the thing and feels is detracts from our back yard. I admit, it is currently an eyesore.

Our yard backs up to a horse trail (which is less than 10ft. from the pool in one area) as well as a nature preserve with lots of big, old oak trees. I, as the one who maintains the pool, feel the screen does provide a nice barrier to debris, though I seem to always be skimming piles of insects out of the pool even when the screen was fully intact. Lots of tiny insects that the screen doesn't keep out. Also, we don't get much direct sunlight due to the large oak trees, so the pool temp is often a little chilly for the little ones.

I'm looking for some thoughts on keeping the thing or scrapping it. If we keep it, it would need to be refinished and re-screened. I'm sure that would be a nice chuck of change. If we scrap it, we would plant some birds of paradise or similar plants along the perimeter to provide some privacy from the horseback riders as well as a minimal barrier to debris from the trail and preserve. I don't currently own an automatic pool cleaner, but if we scrapped it i would invest in one for sure. I know a lot of this is personal preference, but just looking for insight from those with much more experience with pools than I have (3 yrs). I'm about the function, while the wife is about the fashion. But as we all know, happy wife, happy life!

Also, has anyone gone through the removal of one of these? Wondering how much someone would charge to tear it down.

Thanks in advance!

I too get insects floating on my pool here in SW FL. A couple times a year, there must be a hatching period of gnats IN the screen itself, and thousands of them fall onto the water.

However, it keeps the mosquitoes out, and for me that would be a big consideration.

I thought in FL that these enclosures were also to keep alligators out? I would think you could get a local junk hauler to remove and haul it for a few hundred. Can you do it yourself?

I think without the screened enclosure, you will find it will take some extra work to keep pool maintained. I have redone my pool enclosure. Replaced all the rusted screws, cleaned and then re-screened. I replaced all the screws with a nylon head screw. Made a huge difference in appearance. Even if you had to remove screen and repaint aluminum extrusion, I think it would be worth it.

We live in Central Florida and chose to not have a screen enclosure. We do live in a newer neighborhood without a lot of trees (except for a nuisance tree in our neighbor's yard). Mosquitoes still seem to get into the enclosures that our friends have as well as no-see-ums. We back up to a pond and have a grassy area in our yard and wanted our backyard to feel "open" rather than caged in. We have added lots of plants for privacy including birds of paradise and roebellini palms that we think look quite nice.

Thanks all for the responses. I'm traveling but will take some pictures when i am back in town.

And yes, one of my considerations is keeping out those pesky mosquitoes. Fortunately, we don't have a gator problem but imagine there are snakes and other critters that could become an issue without the screen. I'm pretty handy, but am lacking in time to really tackle a project such as the teardown.

We do like the open feel - without the screen and it would open up other areas our our yard which right now, are under-used.

FWIW, I too am in S.W. Florida (Ft Myers) and will begin my pool project in a couple weeks. The pool cage screen I am looking at is from Super Screen and has a 17/20 mesh for protection from very small insects. It also seems to be much stronger than a "typical" screen. You might want to check them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.