Pool RX - how to remove metals from pool water?

Aug 19, 2017
Waynesville NC
We had a new fiberglass pool installed and due to concrete dust and dirt etc getting into the pool it started growing algae shortly after, our PB came out and said he had a great new "natural" product that is a mineral cartridge that eliminates algae. I prefer natural treatments but like to investigate everything thoroughly before using it. He came over to check on our pool build and while he was over had apparently inserted the mineral cartridge into our system without asking. I asked why the water all of a sudden turned so blue and he let me know he had installed the cartridge which I was not too happy about. After he left I tried figuring out what he used (as he did not tell me) and figured out it was the poolrx black mineral cartridge. After reading the reviews and several posts here I am very unhappy that he put this cartridge in without my approval, now I am trying to figure out 2 days later (we did remove it after it was in for 2 days) how to get the copper/metals out of my pool water. A full drain and refill isn't possible, does anyone have any ideas on the quickest way to get this out of our water? Should we just continue to backwash and fill over and over? I am pretty frustrated with this as working with this guy had been one disaster after another. Our water was perfectly fine before minus the algae that was already remedied after we applied a shock treatment. Thanks!

Copper can not be removed from the water chemically or by filtration, you simply must use fresh water exchange to get rid of it. If you take a water sample to the pool store they might be able to test the copper level. Not much credence is given to pool store testing but even a test strip number is better than nothing.

NOw you know why TFP exists....it's exactly this kind of stuff that frustrates so many. If you follow the TFPC Method of pool care, you will never need to ask the so-called "experts" to help you out. Perhaps you should read through Pool School and stick around here for advice....

(FYI - Algae is easy to fix and we could have helped you with that without any need for the mineral nonsense....)

That's what I thought...ugh, it's one thing after another. I appreciate your reply and suggestion, I will try and get a sample to the pool store to check the copper levels. In the meantime it looks like we will have to backwash and refill. Do you think it is safe to swim in the meantime? I have heard people complain of rashes etc and wasn't sure I should let my kids swim in it. We only had it in for two days before I had my husband remove it. Hopefully it doesn't stain the pool that quickly. I will read through the pool school, I don't have a lot of faith in what our PB continues to suggest for maintenance. Thanks again :)

Matt,

If this mineral pack was only in operation for two days, do you think that it has really cause a problem in such a short period of time??

My gut says no, but my gut definitely lacks the technical expertise as to how these things work..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would say, before anything else is done, that a sample be brought by the pool $tore. Just ask them to check for metals, and not worry about the rest as you can say that the PB is still "caring" for the pool and he wanted you to get the metal level checked....It shouldn't be a big deal for the pool store to do the tests.

Then, once you know a number (and it may well come back as 0), then you can go from there.

Read pool school and get one of the recommended test kits that we compare on this site. I don't like the idea of letting your kids playing in a pool that is not being actively managed or worse, being managed by a half-a _ _ pool builder.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.