Pool rookie needing automation advice

Fuldo

Silver Supporter
Nov 23, 2017
Port Orange, FL
My daughter and husband are having a large pool installed in NH. It's almost complete and start-up is scheduled for later today. It's vinyl lined, 22000 gallons and has "floor sweepers" (multiple jets designed to avoid debris accumulating on bottom). It has a chlorine generator with an autopilot controller, 1-1/2 HP high efficiency single speed pump and fancy light. At this point they just have a mechanical Intermatic timer to control the pump and chlorine generator. They think they may add a heater at some point but not now.

They're considering a automation system and would like to remotely control/set things including from their phones. The pool builder suggested a Pentair Easy Touch. Is this a good choice and what other options might they consider. I have considerable experience with pools but not so much with salt pools nor automation so I can't advise them.

What would you control?
The timer will turn on the pump and generator for a set time every day. You can buy extra start/stop tabs for the timer, if you want to run a couple of times per day, but this probably isn't necessary.

Since you don't have a heater, not sure what automation will bring to the table.
I'd try to convince them to wait, and see how it goes with the system you have, before adding more.

And if they want to spend money, I think a heater would be a better way to spend it. Heater will let you use the pool more, and make it more comfortable to swim in.

If not a heater, look into solar covers, that will help warm the pool.

Randy

I think they'd like to control the chlorine generator setting (I think I saw that the controller allows that), light, pump and eventually a heater. My guess is that they'll add a heater by late summer or early fall to extend this season. I suspect they plan to replace the current timer with an electronic one that could be connected to a main remote control system. If so, this would require a 4 channel minimum remote controller although it's not clear what sort of remote control one could have for a fancy light with all the bells and whistles.

I bought the Pentair EasyTouch for a couple of reasons.

1. Power distribution - I wanted as few items as possible hanging off the house. 240V to the EasyTouch, and then distribute 120V from there. It is logistically simple.
2. Control pump on a timer, 120V
3. Control transformer/lights on a timer, 120V
4. GFCI 120V receptacle which is mounted directly on the box
5. Heater planned for this fall, so control the heater
6. Possibility of adding either the remote or the wireless apps for controlling. I doubt I will ever use this feature, but I want to have the option someday down the road

I had a moment, and was confused about your location.
In Florida, I'd expect a heater is not that big a deal.

I had a intermatic wireless system for many years, and it's really nice to be able to turn on the pump, and check water temps from inside the house.
Last year I installed a diy system (I'm an engineer) that I can access from my phone or ipad. I must admit there is a coolness factor to being able to pull out your phone, and monitor and control your pool.

Can't give you any advice on which automation system to choose, so good luck with your choice.

EDIT: Wanted to add that the "standard" recommendation is to get the control system from the same company that manufactured the equipment, so you know everything will be compatible, and talk nicely to each other.

As it turns-out, the sense of urgency was because the pool people were doing the plumbing installation yesterday, they suggested the Pentair Easy Touch for an automation system but they had already sold them another brand of chlorine generator that required it's own controller. My son-in-law was trying to make a last minute decision on if to add the Easy Touch system and if so to change-out the chlorine generator that had already been purchased and delivered but not yet plumbed-in.

The end result was that he chose to run with the Easy Touch system and change to the compatible Pentair chlorine generator that can be controlled directly from it. The pool company was very good about changing the order/installation and only charged him the up-charge for the upgrade. The only reservation he had was the single speed pump. He didn't realize he had the multi-speed option and how quiet the pump is when run slow. The pool company installed "floor sweepers" and felt the single speed pump they sold him would be best for that. In the long run he agreed to it but we'll see if he's happy with the noise level. I suppose worst-case they can just leave it off when out near the pool.

My own Florida pool is a different story. The more time that goes by the more I believe I should convert it to SWG and automation would be a big plus. However, I just don't have the discretionary funds at this time to make the plunge, even doing the installation myself. The need for chlorine dosing is bad enough but I've recently run across the problem of old stock liquid chlorine being stored at outside at Florida temps. This has resulted not only in increased cost but also the uncertainty of what the strength is of each bottle and therefore how much to dose each time. I'm getting tired of that game!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.