Pool Resurfacing and Tile Replacement Cost

Jul 3, 2017
Needham, ma
Hi TFP community - my wife and I bought a house in Massachusetts with an older (1970’s) pool about 8 years ago. The pool is Roman shaped and holds ~35,000 gallons. The previous owners did not take great care of the property - despite that we’ve made it work for us and have been able to enjoy the pool (with a lot of help using TFP) with our kids since we moved in.
When we bought the house there were already some tiles missing from the pool; since then more have come off. The plaster surface of the pool was always a little rough; in the last cpl years certain areas have become almost like sandpaper will scrape you if you rub against them.
We are looking at having the pool retiled/resurfaced and have started to get quotes from a few companies. They have ranged (so far) from $20k to $40k. I’m curious from this forum - does this seem like we should expect to pay? Are there any companies people would recommend using in Massachusetts?
Any help/guidance is very much appreciated!

Those are typical prices. Prices vary by region and how much competition there is in an area.

In MA the pool building and renovation season is short and builders have to make their annual income in around 9 months so prices are higher then in the South.

All you can do is get competitive bids from the companies who work in your area and see where you can get quality work at the best price.

Reactions: Eshamash
All you can do is get competitive bids from the companies who work in your area and see where you can get quality work at the best price.
^^^^^ What he said. Two fold is a very large difference though - I would expect a cost in the $15,000 to $20,000 range for a pool that size for plaster and tile (not sure why tiling is so expensive).

You can thank Covid for that - prices doubled because of that little bug!