Noblesville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Our pool needs a bit of work, looking into having it done toward the end of summer. We tried to get some quotes a few years ago, got one, and the others either looked and came back saying they were too busy to do the work or never responded at all.

Is there anybody that can recommend companies in the Indy area?

The coping is 4”x8” and starting to crack and crumble; we’ve already pulled off most of what’s on the inside corner that was loose; the perimeter of the pool is about 150’. The walls are starting to rust and bubble and the paint is always flaking off. The floor drain and lights don’t work (not sure why or what’s repairable, the wiring for one of the lights seems to have been removed altogether).

Here’s the one estimate that we got back; does this seem reasonable (it’s certainly more than we were expecting)?
- Patching bubbles/rust/cracks - $540
- Install anti-entrapment drain - $227
- Acid wash & paint - $5,925
- Expansion & topping - $1,120
- Install travertine coping - $10,425

So over $18K altogether and didn’t include reinstalling the automatic cover, re-filling the pool (we’d truck it in rather than trying to re-fill from the well), or replacing either of the lights; I’m estimating almost $2K for the cover and water + lights which puts us over $20K. Also, the drain cost was simply changing out the single round drain to a square anti-entrapment, but didn’t account for the drain not actually working, so not sure if that’s repairable or we should abandon the floor drain.

The same tile we have now (4x8 reddish) would be about $8K, but the travertine looks a lot better and probably worth the $2500 relative to the total cost. He said the travertine came in 12” lengths, so each piece would need to be cut down to 8” to fit (or we’d need to cut out the pool deck further, which would cost more).

My dad is a custom builder in Indianapolis and when his clients want a custom pool he uses Terry Pools. They remodeled my aunts gunite pool and did an outstanding job! We used Pools of Fun. You could reach out to them, but they are primarily liner Pools. They are building a hybrid pool of some kind for one of my dads clients. I’m not sure what it is, but the work so far is beautiful.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I’ve done a decent amount of tile work and am comfortable with it; my main concerns are:
  • The stuff I found online (4x12), for 450 bricks + shipping was about $2500 plus mortar, expansion, etc.
  • I’d pay to have the old tile and mortar removed; I’ve tried and failed, and don’t want to damage the pool or deck trying harder
  • My best guess is that I’d save $5K max, still a lot of money, but also a decent size job
  • Travertine comes 12” deep, I need 9”, so every piece has to be cut down
  • The rest of the work would be done, so I’d need to do it without making a mess of the newly renovated pool
  • I don’t want to leave the pool without water for too long, and I’m not sure how fast I’d be able to get the work done
  • I can’t fill the pool until the coping is done because we have an automatic cover and can’t reinstall that until the coping is done

If we get new quotes, I was going to ask what that cost would be to remove the old tile and mortar and not replace it. I might try to get more definitive prices on materials to see what it’d actually save, and I could take some time off work to get it done. It’s just one project of 50 on my list.

We’d also tried looking into other options, like poring/stamping concrete, etc., but none seemed great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.