Pool repair

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I last posted here, and this time it's a more urgent matter. Last summer, one of my guests discovered that one of the mosaic tiles in my pool became dislodged. It turns out that right underneath it is a soft spot - more specifically, i can stick my finger in it and it is maybe 1 inch or more deep of play-doh like putty! this has GOT to be a problem, right? In addition, the pool finish is very ugly. there are dark spots everywhere, and it is not very smooth anymore. Furthemore, this is the first year that BLACK ALGAE has been a serious problem. One of the pool builders told me that the rough finish of the plaster is allowing the black alge to hold on tighter, or something of that nature. is this true?

Since then, I started getting quotes to get the pool plaster removed, and then replastered. all in all, it was a little over $8,000 - $10,000 to get the job done. What are your thoughts on this? is there a way to maybe drain the pool, and just repair that spot? i'm no longer interested in having mosaics, so that can go. Then, would an acid wash help?

While we had them out there, all the pool builders suggested upgrading my pool equipment (undersized filter and pump is rusting) and plumbing from copper to pvc. I trust these guys as they all said it independently (5 different builders). That of course adds a lot more cost as well.

Guys, I'm looking for your advice. i will get the entire pool replastered if that is the smart move. Otherwise, will patching and acid washing be sufficient?

I'd like to see pictures of the pool, its problem spot and the equipment if possible?

I think 8-10k is a pretty common price for a chip out and re-plastering. Acid washing removes lifespan from plaster.

Are you at all handy that you could change out some of the equipment yourself? Save a bit of cash?

Maddie 🖖

Hi Maddie. I'll post pictures later, but in answer to your question, yes, i'm very handy. just never thought about doing it, but why not, right? However, one thing I found out is that pool equipment and the manufacturing of it an issue right now, presumably due to the pandemic. My pool guy says that new equipment may not be available until the end of the year. At any rate, that is a great idea, Maddie. Thank you.

Yes, true- the big Texas freeze caused a LOT of damage to pools and to add insult to injury of Covid, transportation issues for *everything* seem to be a problem now.
Start looking and paying attention to prices. If something you want is available you could always snap it up and hold on while you get everything you need piecemeal.

Maddie 🖖

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.