Pool repair and painting

First report after opening...Water is dirty/cloudy, but from what I can see paint has held up thru winter.
Will report more after I am done with my slam
I’ve learned since our last go around with painting exactly how imperative it is that you have zero rain during the process. If it does rain (even a “reasonable” rain for 20 minutes) might as well plan on doing additional coats.

I also abused our pool last year and had to do several slams. Took the color out of the blue (making it very light blue). Really, you can only tell if you know what you’re looking for though.

Husband is retiring this summer(!), so we’ll be tackling the paint job again next year. This means we’ll get 4 years out of this paint job (versus 5 on the last). I’m still ok with that versus the $25-30k we were quoted by multiple companies (pre-Covid).

Reactions: blazer58
2023 opening update....
This is the third winter and paint still holding fine.
I noticed some more spots, tho very small ,were plaster popped over the winter, but have not seen any paint pealing.
Most people would not notice the spots they are that small.
Water (Floor) dirty from my mesh cover but still clear

Reactions: Household6 and Dirk
Last report on this thread
4th winter and paint is faded, and has chipped off in areas where I drain water down for the winter.
Under water areas are fine except for the fading.
It looks like we will get 4 years of summer use and will repaint this fall or maybe stretch one more year out of it.
If I was not so worried about my pool popping out in the spring I would paint it spring of 2025 instead of the fall.
Next go round will be much easier as all of my plaster repairs have held, and very few areas of the old plaster has popped.
Should only need 2 coats.

Thanks for your diligence in reporting this to the community. It'll be an excellent reference for those facing the same situation as you did 4 years ago.

Reactions: newdude
Last report on this thread
4th winter and paint is faded, and has chipped off in areas where I drain water down for the winter.
Under water areas are fine except for the fading.
It looks like we will get 4 years of summer use and will repaint this fall or maybe stretch one more year out of it.
If I was not so worried about my pool popping out in the spring I would paint it spring of 2025 instead of the fall.
Next go round will be much easier as all of my plaster repairs have held, and very few areas of the old plaster has popped.
Should only need 2 coats.
Don’t forget the sunscreen! It’s shocking how reflective a pool with no water in it is!

Heck, at the prices we were given several years ago for replastering, just one year is likely worth it!
Welp. I was quoted a similar price to replace my roof, on the high end of a replaster. (Still healthy, but getting 'about that age') If I could spend a similar amount of time and money to paint it every year to extend its life, I wouldn't. 4 years OTOH would be a much harder decision. Theyd be talking about my 75 year old roof before i realized how many times i did it. :ROFLMAO: