samsoccer7

Aug 2, 2022
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, we are building a new home on the lot we purchased. There's an existing 18' x 36' gunite pool that's 20-30 years old. It was serviced by professionals and the pool is currently open and being serviced by those same pros and they say the shell is in excellent condition with no visible cracks.

Can a gunite pool be fully renovated (refinished, new plumbing, new equipment, new stairs, new tile, shallower deep end, new skimmers, etc) by just keeping the shell? One company says absolutely. One says to do a dye test and some other stuff that's like $1800. One of the companies around here mentioned uneven ground around the pool and the shell collapsing, but I've never read that elsewhere. Anything else we should know or test before deciding on this route?

To have the funds is only one part of it. Making sure the contractor is competent and won't bail on you mid job is the bigger problem. Chicago won't stay warm forever and this is a somewhat lengthy process......

Anything can be done if you have enough money! It's highly unlikely that a gunite shell will collapse. I'm not sure what the company that wants to do an $1800 dye test is talking about(???)
Here is what I was quoted to evaluate the pool. I believe some is unnecessary if we’re going to be replacing plumbing and equipment anyway. I’m more concerned about the structure and it’s integrity so if we decide to renovate we don’t have any major surprises that make me wish we ripped it out and created a brand new pool.8D02A81F-BFD7-4308-B549-98E51375AC9F.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.