Pool Reno... do I really need to upgrade my swimquip lights?

Drockfresh

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Austin, TX
I found a good company to resurface my pool (hallelujah!).

They referred me to an equipment company and I am waiting on a bid to upgrade my light niches to the modern size and add new fixtures and LED lights.

I don’t trust the equipment company at all (based on them telling me how great and reliable intellibrites are and then all of you and everyonw else telling me how much they suck) and would rather just keep my existing 120v old style lights and not pay a billion dollars for new stuff.

I am waiting on the bid but I’m sure it’s the mark everything up 2-3x sketchy stuff I always get from the “pool industry” oh man I have so many stories :( and this equipment company guy was just textbook
l
Anyway..

Is it crazy not to upgrade my old lights? Even if I am resurfacing the entire pool?

No reason to change to LED lights.

Do you intend to keep the existing lights or replace them with similar new lights? You need to evaluate the light housing and bulb type and determine they will last this pool reno.

Reactions: Drockfresh
No reason to change to LED lights.

Do you intend to keep the existing lights or replace them with similar new lights? You need to evaluate the light housing and bulb type and determine they will last this pool reno.

I replaced the swimquip fixtures with new ones about six years ago. The housings are ancient but the lights are newish and work great. JnJ makes an LED bulb that fits in the fixture.

Replacing the bulbs is a $300 solution versus Likely a $6k solution to install a transformer (make the pool 12v, replace the niche, etc etc).

As long as you believe you can keep your existing lights going I would not spend $6K on new lights.

As long as you believe you can keep your existing lights going I would not spend $6K on new lights.

Great! Even if they are old school and not modern housings?

I do feel like this is my only change ever to upgrade them, that’s why I’m stumped.

Once the pool is resurfaced, no way I’m going to chip out and replace the niches.

Post a pic of the old housing and lets see if the pool pros say they will last.

I think we need to see the condition of the back of the housing to see if there is any corrosion or leakage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.