Pool remodel plaster and coping problems.

dm9287

Jul 23, 2016
Webb City Missouri
Had new coping and plaster finished about two months ago and looking for some insight. We wanted our pool rope removed with the new plaster. Now we have these cracks where the rope was attached on both sides. Any thoughts on what can be done and what i could expect to hear from the pb?

Attachments

• 20230605_204248.jpg
    20230605_204248.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230605_204224.jpg
    20230605_204224.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 39
Plaster in rope area-what does that feel like? Did they fill in the depression before they did the plaster job?

Coping cracks-have you been watering the coping as it cured? That will help slow the curing. It is very common for concrete for crack as is cures :( I don't see any control joints.

Coping fix-that should even out as it cures. We saw one build where they had to redo an area. Within a couple of months you could not tell where the patch was.

Coping rebar-I am not sure but think most of the time rebar is not used in that area. I will ask @AQUA~HOLICS for his thoughts on this as he does pools for a living.

Reactions: dm9287
Plaster in rope area-what does that feel like? Did they fill in the depression before they did the plaster job?

Coping cracks-have you been watering the coping as it cured? That will help slow the curing. It is very common for concrete for crack as is cures :( I don't see any control joints.

Coping fix-that should even out as it cures. We saw one build where they had to redo an area. Within a couple of months you could not tell where the patch was.

Coping rebar-I am not sure but think most of the time rebar is not used in that area. I will ask @AQUA~HOLICS for his thoughts on this as he does pools for a living.
You can feel the crack. It had a plastic insert with a metal clip for the rope. I believe they just plastered over it.

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3
If those cracks are right where the old rope anchors were and they didn't chip them out then you probably have some delamination going on there. It will probably have to be patched at some point. The old rope anchors should be chipped out completely.

The coping cracks can't really be fixed - "two types of concrete, cracked and not cracked yet" will be the likely answer. Looks like the joints were cut in too late and the cracking had already started. Best to tool the joints in while the coping is still wet.

We put rebar in our coping pours, but that looks like a pretty thin coping pour so maybe just mesh in the mix of some fiber rebar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If those cracks are right where the old rope anchors were and they didn't chip them out then you probably have some delamination going on there. It will probably have to be patched at some point. The old rope anchors should be chipped out completely.

The coping cracks can't really be fixed - "two types of concrete, cracked and not cracked yet" will be the likely answer. Looks like the joints were cut in too late and the cracking had already started. Best to tool the joints in while the coping is still wet.

We put rebar in our coping pours, but that looks like a pretty thin coping pour so maybe just mesh in the mix of some fiber rebar.
Can a patch be done that matches or will it always show the spot? And does a patch cause any long term issues with the plaster lifespan?

The chips are probably overspray that was in/on fittings - not uncommon to have a bit of debris. If it keeps up, then you might have an issue.

The color variation is harder to say, it looks like there are spots that are just white in the material?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.