Pool Pump Specs Confusion

dpdeleon

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
NJ
Hi All,

I'm confused about pool pump specs and some other stuff. Perhaps someone can help?
First Question: I've got a pump motor rated at 1.5HP with an SF of 1.1 which gives it a Total Horse Power of 1.65HP. I'm having a new pump installed which is a 1HP with an SF of 1.65 for a Total Horse Power of 1.65HP. Is it better to start with 1.5 HP or 1HP to get to 1.65HP? I'd like to circulate the same amount of water as my existing pump had done.
Second question: My motor shut down yesterday. All I get is a buzzing noise. I would've thought that it should be a matter of replacing the motor (it's about 5 years old) but the pool company I work with is telling me that they don't change capacitors and they're suggesting a new pump instead of a motor. In the meantime, my water is not circulating and I'm not sure how long the water can remain non-circulating (I'm brushing and running my vaccum to get the water moving). I'm looking at a Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP WF-4 1 Speed. It seems pricey and I wasn't expecting to spend > $1000 for a new pump installation. Is this a good unit?

Thanks.
- denis

Denis,

Get a 1.65 VS motor, best of both worlds... They do not do it because they want you to buy an expensive pump instead of saving you money...

The V Green motor is really great and will save you massive amounts of money over your 1 speed pump

call inyo and make sure to get the correct motor for your pump.. also get a pump rebuild kit with a slat or SCS seal as they are WAY better.. :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 0
Also, just keep adding chlorine and brushing your pool and it will be fine.. if you want to you can take your FC a couple points higher than normal .. :)

Denis,

Get a 1.65 VS motor, best of both worlds... They do not do it because they want you to buy an expensive pump instead of saving you money...

The V Green motor is really great and will save you massive amounts of money over your 1 speed pump

call inyo and make sure to get the correct motor for your pump.. also get a pump rebuild kit with a slat or SCS seal as they are WAY better.. :)

One of the suggested replacements is a Pentair Superflo VS. A quick search tells me that its a good replacement for a 1.5HP pump. But there soooo pricey. Installed > $1500

You should be able to get a capacitor locally at a pool store, Ace hardware, an electric motor repair shop etc.
Can't seem to get the housing off of the capacitor. Both screws turn left to right only a smidgen. It's as if there's a lock on them or something. I didn't want to force it.

Attachments

• capacitorHousing.jpg
    capacitorHousing.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 9
A big thank you to everyone. I applied some force to the screws holding the housing in place. Seems they were tight from years of being on. Got to the capacitor. Replaced it for $16 and so far things seem like they are running smoothly. Another happy pool owner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.