Pool Pump Plumbing Reconfiguration - Help Needed

MexTex

Jul 17, 2013
Magnolia, TX
I need some advice on how to reconfigure the piping that connects my main pump to the Pentair multi port valve. The threaded connection on top of the pump is leaking and a couple of the connection points on the 90-degree bends are also leaking. The leaks seem to be caused by the movement created when the pump kicks on. I spoke to a pool guy about this and he said that it sounded like the pipes were run too short. Any help with this would be appreciated. :goodjob:

VIDEO:

http://s109.photobucket.com/user/DylanH ... p.mp4.html

Hi, welcome to TFP! First we need to determine why the pump is kicking like that whenever you turn it on. The movement is causing the leaks and longer pipe runs won't stop the pump from kicking at startup. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but do you have an air bubble in the lid on that pump? Trapped air can cause the pump to kick. If that is the case then we would need to track down the air leak and fix it, then fix the other leaks that it caused.

Actually when I turn it on after it has set for a while, there is hardly any water in the pump; at least from what I can tell through the lid. After a few minutes while the pump is running, water starts to flow and the pump starts sending water through the filter. When I shut the filter off after it is running, then turn it on again...it kicks (that is what was done in the video). I can see the threaded connection point turning a bit when it kicks. I remember it kicking like this since the day I had the pool installed.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Well, clearly you are going to have to fix the leaking pipes, the pump should not drain of all the water when the pump is off. That is going to be a little work though given the cramped plumbing.

Once that is fixed, if you bolted the pump down to the slab, that should prevent any movement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.