Pool pump out for 3 weeks now and trying to figure out what to do.

May 22, 2018
Indio, CA
So my pool pump was loud and I had the 'repair company' out. It failed an hour after they were here. Blowing the breaker. They were supposed to come back the next day to replace in kind (under my home warranty). It's now been three weeks, and a lot of calls, emails, and excuses, and I have no pump. My perfectly balanced pool is green.

What can I do while I wait for the new company (my warranty company FINALLY agreed to change repair guys even after I sent them the pages and pages from Yelp showing that this is their MO)?

What do I do to restart my pool once the pump is installed.

I've never been this angry...

(If you wonder why I've taken this long to ask, I travel for a living so I was gone for several days - in which I left them the code to get in to my yard and fix this beast - and came back to see the green and my pool not fixed, and now I'm very upset).

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Bummer!

You will need to SLAM Process. What test kit do you have? You need to know your CYA ppm to see if you need to exchange some water.

Too bad you did not add liquid chlorine during this time and use a sub pump to circulate the water. Would have kept you from as big an issue.

Read the SLAM article, post up what tests you can, and let us know what kit you have.

Take care.

Thanks! Yeah, it was this perfect storm of incompetence (on their part, just newby on mine). Pump fails "we'll fix it in two days". They say guy is sick "but just two more days", rinse repeat and add my travel schedule and 3 weeks were up with a lot of "we'll be there tomorrow" keeping me from researching more how to prevent what happened here.

I have the Taylor K-2006C.

I'll read the SLAM article. Hopefully whomever I talk to Monday has a clue and can fix the pump fast (and maybe even offer a reasonable upgrade to variable speed. This company wanted $900 on top of the cost of the pump for the install). I may even get new company to do the rebalance under warranty if I can talk em into it.

Should I bother testing before the pump is in?

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Bummer!

You will need to SLAM Process. What test kit do you have? You need to know your CYA ppm to see if you need to exchange some water.

Too bad you did not add liquid chlorine during this time and use a sub pump to circulate the water. Would have kept you from as big an issue.

Read the SLAM article, post up what tests you can, and let us know what kit you have.

Take care.

If you can push a brush around some to mix the CYA and CH would be instructive. If one or both are high it would be an opportune time to exchange some water just before you SLAM.

Haha -- you can run the robot. You will need to clean it after!!

Warmer than us! Laughlin is usually about as warm as everyone!

You are likely right, except for my reality precludes that - which sucks. I work (meaning am out of town) for the next 3-4 weeks. I come home briefly at night every 2-3 days but not enough that will allow me to go buy a pump, install it, etc, especially given that I don't know the first **** thing about installing one of these :(.

This is part of why I am so durn peeved. That POS warranty company KNEW I had only two days off this month, and they had some excuse both days for bailing on me...

I love to be all strong and be like 'I don't need no man' but golly gosh darn, if having one right now wouldn't be nice :D!!! (I'm sure said imaginary man would love being left alone for 3 weeks with a task list including "fix my pool")

(Every time I've posted the profanity filter catches me :) )

It may be time to just buy a pump and not count on the warranty
Any money saved by waiting will be more than spent in time and frustration trying to clean up the mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.